would you

Brett

i,m hoping to use the van more in winter and today i saw in the supermarket slow cookers for £7.00 just a small one anyway would you fill one in the morning then go off for a day on the hills. you leave your fridge plugged in all day do any of you do this or is it a big no no

S

squiffy

If you mean a small 230volt slow cooker then it should be fine we use a small one in our van there is no reason why it should be unsafe that I can think of. Phil

mr brown

always amazes me how much trust people put in electrical products. products made in countries where the minimum wage is exploitative and contracts are won by the lowest bidder or the highest briber
and they leave tv's and pcs on standby , phones and other appliances on charge, fridges and freezers running ,and cookers working on their dinner . any one of these things can suddenly decide to screw up and catch fire . but don't let me worry you !

D

Deleted member 2

Apart from the fridge, we leave absolutely nothing on when we are away from 'Millie'.
Phil

Brett

must say i dont know anybody who switches their fridge off when they go out the cookers are from a major supermarket thank you for the advice

D

Deleted member 2

must say i dont know anybody who switches their fridge off when they go out the cookers are from a major supermarket thank you for the advice
Sorry Bret you misunderstand, we do leave our fridge on but absolutely nothing else.
Phil

Brett

except fridge i unplug anything electrical in the house at night grand kids tell me that is why puter is so slow think it might be an age thing

S

squiffy

If the mains setup is correct with Rcd's in place the chances of any electrical short are at an absolute minimum, the whole idea of a slow cooker is that you switch it on and go to work/away for 6 to 8 hours as hundreds of thousands of folk do with them every day, everyone who has a fridge on GAS! walk away from their vans without a thought, some even during the winter go out and leave their gas/electric Truma heaters on so as nice and cosy when they return, indeed my Truma I can set the heater to come on at a specific time, my son's Truma goes one better and can be set from his phone while out and about. You often hear of washing mashines and dryer's bursting into flames but for the life of me at 69 I can never remember hearing of a slow cooker bursting into flames or being the culprit in a house fire.;) Phil

JayKay

I'm with you Squiffy!

I could get run over crossing the road, but that doesn't stop me or make me worry about it.

S

squiffy

I'm with you Squiffy!

I could get run over crossing the road, but that doesn't stop me or make me worry about it.
Another thing to think of is have you ever concidered cooking over the battery charger, it gets really really hot and 9 times out of ten its hidden away in a storage cupboard and thumping away all day and night when on hookup, bet no one thinks about that box of electrical junk made in china when they are out at the pub on a night outo_O Phil

D

Deleted member

Most electronic "gubbins" is made in China or Korea even if you think it is made in the UK, Germany or Japan. Geoff.

S

squiffy

Most electronic "gubbins" is made in China or Korea even if you think it is made in the UK, Germany or Japan. Geoff.
Yes people think that Philips stuff is still made in Holland, it hasn't been produced in Holland for 35 years same with Grundig, Marconi and many many other well known brands all made now in the far east. Phil

mr brown

unfortunately true story
i bought a slow cooker from Sainsbury's , put stew ingredients in and went out for the day. came back about 9 hrs later to a distinct smouldery smell. also the stew was nowhere near ready , as i took the bowl out of the cooker to put it in the oven i couldn't help noticing it had been sitting on a small slightly charred booklet about using your new slow cooker

D

Deleted member

I would blame the Chinese for that - there obviously should have been an instruction book informing you about the location of the other instruction book. Geoff!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

mistericeman

We regularly use a slow cooker plugged into the inverter when we head off (especially in winter)
Loaded up with...

Tin of potatoes
Tin of spicy mixed beans
Tin of butterbeans
Tin of sweetcorn
And a jar of dolmio sauce of choice

Then a bit of tinfoil scrunched up around the lid/pot
And some crusty rolls in some tin foil on top
Tea towel and a Towel or coat over the top (keeps the heat in)

Hearty hot meal and warm crusty bread when we land wherever we are headed with no pfaff.