What gas bottles for Europe??

OShea2609

Hey all,
What propane gas bottle brand/ system is best for travelling around the UK and Europe for easy and cost?
I've got limited space so cannot carry multiple bottles of different brands, is there one which is swappable in different countries or is it best to go for a refillable system?
Cheers!

misterg

I think the most universal brand is Camping Gaz, but it’s ferociously expensive and the cylinders aren’t very big. If you were only using it for cooking, I suppose it could still work out cheaper than a refillable.

Otherwise, a refillable cylinder or tank.

We’ve got a 6kg refillable Gas-It cylinder tucked inside the back doors:

DSC08388.JPG

Last edited:

david.c.hall

Refillable is the only way to go, particularly if you are travelling through Europe.
If you have room underneath, then fit a tank, which frees up space inside.
With as set of 3 adaptors you can fill up in most of Europe for half the cost of UK cylinder refills.
It is virtually impossible to get UK cylinders refilled outside UK
David

OShea2609

Great thanks chaps, how long would you expect a 6KG propane tank to last if you were just to use it for cooking everyday but nothing else?

Coire

I'm newish to all this but I'm wondering how people are using so much gas. Do you have gas heaters or fridges?

I bought a 3.9kg propane two years ago. I only use it for cooking on my twin hob. Ive been away wild camping almost every other weekend and done several 3 week long stints in the highlands followed by 4 weeks in europe.

When I went to change the bottle last month there was about 1/3 to 1/4 left in it.

When I say cooking I do mean making a full meal, sometimes cooking from scratch and not just reheating. We also reheated water bottles several times a night in the winter.

I should add that we always eat in the van as we are usually in complete wilderness.

Not saying anybody is wrong just really curious about how the usage differs so much?

david.c.hall

We have both a fridge and Combi heater.
From memory I think the fridge uses about 400 g per day and in the winter we use the heating quite a lot.
Basically we like our creature comforts, including hot water on tap, but always wild camp.
When it's -6 c outside it's still 20 c inside during the day and 15 c at night
The most we have used is 18 lit (9 Kg) in 7 days (4 of which it didn't go above 0 c outside).. Which, as we topped up in Spain was about £7. We would have used more if parked up, but we travelled 1000 miles (often very slowly) in that time and also run the combi off the inverter whilst engine running.
In the summer we average about 1.6 Lit (0.8 Kg) per day
We all use our vans in different ways
David

misterg

how long would you expect a 6KG propane tank to last if you were just to use it for cooking everyday but nothing else?
A month or more - We have an LPG hob at home and it takes us at least 6 months to get through 19kg of propane, cooking only. We would use more if we had to boil the kettle on gas (maybe as much as double - I like my tea).

The beauty of refillables is that you can top them up at any point.

devonian

Refillable is the only way to go, particularly if you are travelling through Europe.
If you have room underneath, then fit a tank, which frees up space inside.
With as set of 3 adaptors you can fill up in most of Europe for half the cost of UK cylinder refills.
It is virtually impossible to get UK cylinders refilled outside UK
David
Why is refillable the only way to go? Considering camping gaz exchangable bottles are available widely throughout the whole of europe, I would say its an option at least.

david.c.hall

Why is refillable the only way to go? Considering camping gaz exchangable bottles are available widely throughout the whole of europe, I would say its an option at least.
Whilst it is true Camping Gaz bottles are available all over Europe the cost of a refills very high.
Not checked EU prices but in the UK the most practical 907 cylinder works out at £9.00 to £13.00 per Kg of gas.
Whereas LPG is £1.05 to £1.40 per Kg of gas.
Unless you are only using gas for minimal cooking Camping Gaz is an expensive option.
A gas fridge, for instance, will use 250 g to 400 g per day
The above prices are current low and high prices today
David

BigStevie

As mentioned above, camping gaz is fairly expensive, the plus side being that you can find it easily in Europe. If your gas use is low, I’d go camping gaz just from a point of availability. Each to their own of course. I should mention that I had a full camping gaz bottle given to me, so that helped!

devonian

As mentioned above, camping gaz is fairly expensive, the plus side being that you can find it easily in Europe. If your gas use is low, I’d go camping gaz just from a point of availability. Each to their own of course. I should mention that I had a full camping gaz bottle given to me, so that helped!
I found two camping gaz 907's (one quite rusty) in my garden shed a few years ago presumably from the houses' previous owner so I thats why I went for a exchangeable camping gaz system in my build (It will only be used for cooking anyway) the alternative for a gaslow system for example was around £400 plus, so for me it seemed like a no brainer.