We cut a HOLE in the NEW membrane roof and fit a whole load of PLASTIC pipework

egg-fried-rice

Noticed your shower mixer for 20 quid, I hope it’s ok, however, just a warning in case you decide to buy cheap taps (Chinese made). They are often listed as ”solid brass” and machined (strong). But I’ve proved this is often a lie, many are “diecast” (very thin and very weak - using minimal brass) which cannot withstand freezing temperatures (a diaster in a van if the pump is left switched on and the temperature thaws). Pay the extra it’s worth it, you cannot buy a good mixer tap for 20 quid, you pay for what you get (I paid £70 for mine).

Below is a £16 Chinese tap I fitted in my van. The temperature reach -2 maybe -3 and this is the result (I caught it in time but I was lucky). The tap was listed on EBay as Solid Brass with an image of a Solid Brass Ingot (total con), this was a blatant lie and not an error. For example diecast metal is often a mixture of metals (powder form) and not the same as a solid ingot (or billet that’s later machined) die-casting is cheap, solid billet casting then machining is costly. There are many taps (1000’s) in the U.K. My friend has one fitted in his campervan but has decided to take the risk (crazy risk for 20 quid if you ask me). I am waiting for him to call me later when it bursts, which it will when he forgets to turn off and drain his water system in winter. Hope this serves as a warning to everyone.

63F85AAC-82D4-4FEA-8198-0FFB4F4A2682.jpeg
8F12038F-48CD-454C-950D-2DAA57E77F13.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh wow ... thank you very much for the heads up !

What blatant falsification for an ebay sale - Interestingly, I sent something Chinese back to Amazon only yesterday that split when I tried to use it within 30 seconds of opening the bag !

We have a mixer tap for the kitchen sink already, one with one of those pull out hoses, we have had it a while, it's stored in the garage - I will have to have a good nosey at it to see what it is made of. But, from recollection that was not a low cost tap as the other half wanted a nice one for 'her' motorhome kitchen :) I will ask the other half where she bought it from etc.

I am cautious of water leaks as (mentioned in the video) when we had a static caravan in Mablethorpe a few years ago we received a call from the site to tell me the caravan was flooded and they had been over to turn off the mains water valve. In that case, it was left with the water turned on for part of an extended season, which turned too cold. What surprised me was the pipe that failed was a copper pipe joint inside a cupboard, I can only imagine that level of cold came down though the flue.

Thanks again.

John & Samantha

We bought a salvage American 5.7 litre V8 Ford RV project in July 2021.
https://vintagervadventures.com/

Our YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/VintageRVAdventures

egg-fried-rice

Good to be cautious John, we have to protect the time and investment we put in these builds. Btw it’s not easy to detect diecast metal until it rips then it’s really easy to see as the edging/rip is like nothing else.

egg-fried-rice

If you look carefully at the EBay image above of the billets/ingots, they have probably taken the image from another website. Those billets in the image are actually solid gold bars and are stamped “gold”.

If I am wrong and it turns out that they are selling solid gold taps for 16 quid, then buy as many mixer taps as you can from them whilst gold prices remain stable. I reckon that around a dozen mixer taps melted down should buy you a Winnebago brand new complete with Fiat Punto in tow.

Last edited: