Water pump on/off

vicdicdoc

I've a shuflo (?) pump fitted to pump water to the 'kitchen' tap & to the shower, knowing nothing of these (our previous Hymer had micro switches in the taps) - it seems to me that I have to switch the pump on then open to sink tap or shower to get a flow - in the Hymer we used to shower the 'submarine' way - quick squirt, soap up then turn it on again to rinse; I get the feeling that I've got to leave the pump running all the time thereby wasting battery power & using more water than necessary . . . is there an inline microswitch I can fit that will turn the pump off when sink tap or shower control is closed ?
(Rereading this it's a longwinded post - sorry

JayKay

The pump should only run when there is a drop in pressure, ie when the taps turned on. The pump is usually left powered up most of the time. It will only use power when taps are turned on. If you keep hearing it running, on a frequent basis, then check for leaky taps.

You can buy a smallish expansion tank which stops the pump swithing on and off when not needed or in use.

D

Deleted member 2

With a totally water tight system you can safely leave the Shurflo pump on all of the time. Apart from when she is parked up at home, whenever we are out and about in 'Millie' the pump is on continuously.
As for showering, we do exactly the same as you do @vicdicdoc purely to conserve water and on average only use about 7 ltrs. of water to have a good shower.
Phil

mr brown

turn your pump on. it may run for a few moments , but should stop.
now open a tap , the pump should start and run .
now shut the tap, the pump will run briefly till it builds up pressure, then stop. it shouldn't run again until you open another tap
if it runs at all when all taps are closed then it means it can't build the pressure to operate the inbuilt pressure switch, which means you either have a leak , or you've run out of water

vicdicdoc

Cheers, that leads me to another question - there's no way to know (a) when the underslung water tank is full, (b) is easy - water tank empty (I stand there with soapsuds & no water to rinse off ), what methods have you incorporated in your van to display / indicate how much water you have in your tank ?

D

Deleted member 2

Personally, I don't have a sensor fitted to my tank but you can buy them from companies like this https://leisurelines.net/water-level-indicators-60-c.asp

Before each trip I always wash out the tank at home and then fill it to the brim, but from then on site or when out in the wild I tend to try to keep it fairly well topped up by sloshing in a few small watering cans from convenient taps I happen to see.
When we first started using 'Millie' it really was a bit of trial and oh bugger error as to how much water was left in the tank, but now we both know approximately how much we have used or are using to the extent that so far............. we haven't been stood in the shower duly soaped up with no remaining water to rinse it off!

Phil

VanNV

I stand there with soapsuds & no water to rinse off
This happened to me on a friend's yacht after a fourteen hour race! The competitive little f...eller had emptied the water tanks to save weight.

Luckily for me there was still some bottled drinking water. Unluckily for me it was in the fridge...

On the van, this is one of the reasons that I fitted the water tank internally - it is a fiamma with a removable lid so easy to judge level and cleanliness simply by looking in!

Rob

Liberty hall

Cheers, that leads me to another question - there's no way to know (a) when the underslung water tank is full, (b) is easy - water tank empty (I stand there with soapsuds & no water to rinse off ), what methods have you incorporated in your van to display / indicate how much water you have in your tank ?
Vicdicdoc
I know you’ve bought a part done conversion! However if there Barrett tanks you could get Shawn to retro fit levels for you. We had ours done when ordered and they seem to be pretty accurate. The ones Shawn fits is in B.B. link:)
Ken

vicdicdoc

Pondering & racking my brain cell &, I come to the conclusion that I'll go the 'KISS' route & fit a sight tube with a red plastic bead to show the water levels; i've had experience of electrical water sensors & the problem of them giving the wrong readings (plus I'm a bit of a tight a*se ;-)

D

Deleted member 63

I've a shuflo (?) pump fitted to pump water to the 'kitchen' tap & to the shower, knowing nothing of these (our previous Hymer had micro switches in the taps) - it seems to me that I have to switch the pump on then open to sink tap or shower to get a flow - in the Hymer we used to shower the 'submarine' way - quick squirt, soap up then turn it on again to rinse; I get the feeling that I've got to leave the pump running all the time thereby wasting battery power & using more water than necessary . . . is there an inline microswitch I can fit that will turn the pump off when sink tap or shower control is closed ?
(Rereading this it's a longwinded post - sorry

Not read the other replies yet Vic, but the shurflo pump works of the release of pressure when a tap is opened, there is a tiny lag when opening, and little longer when shutting off to build up the pressure again, it's jsut the way it is and avoids the often troublesome tap switches, it is a really good pump and should you forget to turn the tap off, the pump suffers no damage, I left one on for three months, or should I say someone went in the van and turned the power on, and never turned it off, I filled the tank and it never gave me any bother.

Pugwash

If you ignore the complicated initial designs I had, I used two float switches in my fresh tank. A green light comes on at the filler cap when it's full and a red led comes on near the sink when it's low. https://www.diymotorhome.co.uk/community/threads/water-level-sensor-and-display-for-under-£30.1523/#post-20000

D

Deleted member 63

As we always carry plenty of bottled water, I kept it simple when it overflowed it was full, when the taps ran dry we were empty, the latter never happened as I filled up every time we had had a couple of showers each and a couple of wash ups, this would leave the tank about half full, so a good reserve if we didn't find a tap

D

Deleted member

We only use bottled (bought or filled at home) water for cooking, washing and washing up. As I have said on here before when filling - wet toes means full tank. Constantly cllicking water pump means empty tank. This system has proven to be totally reliable for over 30 years. Not really too technical. Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2

Personally I/we only ever carry 10ltrs. of (easily replenished) tap/bottled water for our personal drinking (as fresh for drinking or heated for mugs of coffee) and that is all, added to this we have the 100+++ ltr. underslung fresh water tank that we use for showers, washing, washing up, cooking, and of course the dogs water bowls.

Phil

D

Deleted member 63

We only use bottled (bought or filled at home) water for cooking, washing and washing up. As I have said on here before when filling - wet toes means full tank. Constantly cllicking water pump means empty tank. This system has proven to be totally reliable for over 30 years. Not really too technical. Geoff.
:) :) :D :D :D

NicB

I've always had internal tanks, but it might be possible to knock up a flexible dipstick and calibrate it at home.

NicB

Regarding CLEAN drinking water for squash Etc I have six 2 litre pop bottles labled on their tops 1- 6 standing in a box.
They are filled fresh when I leave home.
I use #1 first then #2 Etc.
I put the empty (ies) in my rucksack in the morning when I set out. I've never failed to get the empty one (s ) filled with fresh water at sometime during the day.
On return I put them in the box and carry on with #3 Etc. (Rotation)
I only use tank water for washing and boiling.
Works for me!

D

Deleted member 2

We have a 5ltr. plastic bottle filled up as and when needed for our coffee making. Any and all other water i.e. for cooking, washing up, shower, dog bowls etc. comes out of the storage tank.
Phil