Van Advice

Gower Ranger

Looking for advice for base van for conversion.
Vauxhall Movano (2018) with circa 2,500 miles on the clock, SAT Nav & air-con or Sprinter 314 (2015) LWB with circa 55,000 on the clock, no air-con, no SAT

BigStevie

Hi and welcome to the forum. Difficult one this, all to their own really. I imagine the two vans you’ve mentioned are quite different on price?
I have a sprinter, only because I wanted a long tall van. My requirements were enough room for a fitted king size bed and enough height for my 6’4’ body, and it was cheap!
If you’re going for a top end build, try and find funds for a newish van. If, like me, you’re doing things on a budget, perhaps something older and cheaper.
Sorry I can’t be of more help, base vehicles are a marmite thing and everyone has their own likes.

Good luck, Stevie

roadliner

Welcome from me. As Stevie says to each his own the van choice is a personal subjective thing. Of the two I would go Mercedes just check for rust they are prone to it but generally have bullet proof mechanicals. Hope you make the right choice for you. Regards Dave.

david.c.hall

Where do you plan to go in it?
If you want to spend summers south then go with the one with Aircon. If you will be keeping away from the hotter regions then either.
The Sprinter needs checking for rust, although not as important as with a Transit.
Neither are as wide inside as the Sevel vans (Fiat-Peugeot-Citroen) which is often a big consideration, especially if you are thinking about transverse beds.
David

Gower Ranger

I was planning to go south, France, Spain, Portugal. The sprinter is a wee bit longer than the Movano, but for the same money the Movano has 50,000 miles less. Plus the Movano has a galv body. Decisions... decisions. I’ve not driven either so perhaps that’s the next step. Thanks for all your replies.

devonian

I was planning to go south, France, Spain, Portugal. The sprinter is a wee bit longer than the Movano, but for the same money the Movano has 50,000 miles less. Plus the Movano has a galv body. Decisions... decisions. I’ve not driven either so perhaps that’s the next step. Thanks for all your replies.
Sounds like a no brainer decision with the Movani to me. How wide is the vauxhall? If its as wide as the peugot/citroen/ fiat vans you could put the bed widthways saving some precious van real estate.

Gower Ranger

Movano - 3733mm x 1765mm
Sprinter - 4300mm x 1780mm
Ducato - 3705mm x1870mm
Dimensions are internal load space.

Last edited: