Updated Conversion Regs From 21 October 19. Graphics And Awning Now Required.

Sandbagsid

Yes it does mate got 6foot bed settee storage space cooker sink fresh water tank fridge heater shower etc.

shortcircuit

Thank you very much for your reply which sounds promising. Your offer of advise is very much appreciated but I am at very early days. My son has converted a Sprinter and in the first instance I am going to "try" with my limited skills to tidy it up. Will keep following this forum.

egg-fried-rice

Thank you very much for your reply which sounds promising. Your offer of advise is very much appreciated but I am at very early days. My son has converted a Sprinter and in the first instance I am going to "try" with my limited skills to tidy it up. Will keep following this forum.

It’s not as easy to obtain as it appears. A few graphics wont cut it. Most have failed and I only achieved it after having failed first time. At the time of writing this reply I still don’t know anyone that’s attained reclassification. Hopefully this is going to change.

The list of requirements are straightforward, it DVLA’s perception of this list that is the problem.

Best tip I can give is get your list sorted, then look for the weakest area and strengthen it. On my van it was the rear doors, I have no windows and at a distance there was nothing that would define it as a campervan (stickers are not enough). I got round this by adding stick-on “letters” and spelt the word “campervan” I created zero doubt.

Further details and images are on my website (link in the signature below).

bluebenz1

It’s not as easy to obtain as it appears. A few graphics wont cut it. Most have failed and I only achieved it after having failed first time. At the time of writing this reply I still don’t know anyone that’s attained reclassification. Hopefully this is going to change.

The list of requirements are straightforward, it DVLA’s perception of this list that is the problem.

Best tip I can give is get your list sorted, then look for the weakest area and strengthen it. On my van it was the rear doors, I have no windows and at a distance there was nothing that would define it as a campervan (stickers are not enough). I got round this by adding stick-on “letters” and spelt the word “campervan” I created zero doubt.

Further details and images are on my website (link in the signature below).
Hi, I've just read through your website...very useful...thanks a lot for the before and after photo's...my van will look very similar to yours, so having the word camper van (or similar) on the rear is the key !!! now to see how small the wording can be before the refuse a reclassification !!!

MickWorcester

The way I read it is that one side of the van has to have at least 2 windows, though how the police would know if they where looking at the other side?:confused:
That means two windows - they can be on one side or one on each
I think they have provided a list of typical campervan external features and ask you to tell them which you have
I reckon if you have 80% of these you’ll be ok
I don’t think an awning is essential as many commercial campervans don’t have them
You do have to have a bed which can convert from sofa sand a hot plate or microwave

jjturner

That means two windows - they can be on one side or one on each
I think they have provided a list of typical campervan external features and ask you to tell them which you have
I reckon if you have 80% of these you’ll be ok
I don’t think an awning is essential as many commercial campervans don’t have them
You do have to have a bed which can convert from sofa sand a hot plate or microwave
Its worth reading the dvla guidance and internal features list as I think you have misinterpreted what they've said. Many people's experiences on here show that unless you have 100% of requirements, its unlikely it will pass and even then it seems challenging.
  • There has to be at least two windows on at least one side on the van (excluding passenger/driver windows), it can't just be one on each.
  • Although you don't need an awning, you do need an awning bar/mount point.
  • You'll need to provide evidence that the cooking facilities are secured to the vehicle. A portable hotplate won't work.
Manufacturers have an advantage, depending on their size, they register the vehicle as a motorcaravan at first registration (and pay the additional tax) not convert it, so I suspect they get challenged less.

Last edited: