Underslung water/waste tanks - driving

silvermachine

Hi all,

I'm considering Barratt Tanks underslung water/waste tanks. The sizes for the x250 are 85litres of water and 65 litres waste, this gives me a concern.

When full, that's up to 85kg of water and 65kg of waste, all swilling about whilst driving. Isn't it a bit dangerous? Is there not a danger of the tanks splitting?

Are these types of tanks baffled in any way, to reduce fluid movement in them?

What are your experiences, all you guys who have them?

Thanks.

stevetheplumber

if your having them made its up to you if you want baffles i had mine made without so i could access inside to use normal tank connectors but made with slightly thicker plastic

Kermavio

I don't think I've seen any tanks under 100 litres with baffles, although some may have had indentations in the sides which sort of acts like a baffle. So it would appear that they wouldn't be necessarry for your tanks. But ask Shaun (Barrett) - he is generally considered to be the expert. I'd be interested to hear what he says.

Chris.

D

Deleted member 2

I wish to hell that I had used Shaun for my tanks as HE IS THE BEST! Instead I fitted CAK tanks and they are as far as I am concerned cak!
As Chris has so rightly suggested speak to Shaun, he is the most approachable kind of bloke and what he doesn't know about underslung tanks isn't worth knowing!
Phil

S

squiffy

I second buzzy's post, and would like to add that I had tanks made up by shaun for my maxi Ducato, I've travelled 12,000 miles since most of which on the continent and in mountainous areas and never once have I had cause for concern about road handling. I believe that the tanks I have are (Maxi Ducato)100ltrs for fresh and 85 for waste though I could be mistaken. However Shaun is your man CAK are as it suggests cak and are the most unhelpful company I have ever come across in my self building career.Phil.

P.s. Infact CAK are arrogant and dont give a toss.

PPS. I also travel with a fresh water tank at least 3/4 full so plenty of room to cause a problem, I also never empty the waste till I absolutely have to.

Last edited by a moderator:

silvermachine

P.s. Infact CAK are arrogant and dont give a toss.
Thanks again guys. This is a sentiment that I've read in a number of places, and I have no intention of buying from them.

Cak's water/waste tanks for the x250 are castellated to fit around the vehicle cross-members, which really appeals to me. It makes good use of the space, and means that the tanks sit a little higher. But, I'm not going to buy them. I've also heard horror stories, about tank outlets being completely in the wrong place and general cak customer service. I'll order from Shaun during the next day or 2.

S

squiffy

The castlellations are of no real purposes as far as I'm concerned. If you think about it to get water to fill each castllation there would have to be a connection between each castellation from the top of one to the top of another, so its really a load of cods wollop, unless of course there are connections, but I don't think so. Phil

P.s. its all to do with physics :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member

The castlellations are of no real purposes as far as I'm concerned. If you think about it to get water to fill each castllation there would have to be a connection between each castellation from the top of one to the top of another, so its really a load of cods wollop, unless of course there are connections, but I don't think so. Phil

P.s. its all to do with physics :rolleyes:
Phil, the bottom of the tanks are flush so the voids all point upwards. Water will always find its own level, so provided that the tops have a breather valve to allow air to escape surely the voids will fill? Geoff.

S

squiffy

I wasn't aware there were breather valves in each castllation Geoff if there is then of course it would work but I'm sceptical that they would go to the cost. Phil

D

Deleted member

With the tank that I used there is only one central lower section (two legs up) and there were no tank fittings or drillings (tanks from Autocraft Stavely). A breather is fitted to the top of the fill side and a vallve to the other. Even without any valve, the filler side would fill properly. Geoff.

D

Deleted member 2

Well I hate to compliment CAK for anything, but Geoff is right, the top of each castllation section does have a breather vent, the result of which is that when you fill one of their tanks the high points of their tanks do actually fill with water. The bottom of their tanks are flat/smooth, in fact their tanks are quite good, the only problem being that (in my most humble of opinion) whoever wrote the installation instructions and who actually positioned the inlet and outlet points had paid absolutely no attention to the van they were going to be fitted to!
Furthermore the straps that they supply to hang them with are of an appalling quality as are also the cheap nasty threaded sections of bar with which you are supposed to hang them. They were so bad that I chucked the ones I was supplied with away and made some myself out of far stronger long lasting materials.

Phil

S

squiffy

Well I hate to compliment CAK for anything, but Geoff is right, the top of each castllation section does have a breather vent, the result of which is that when you fill one of their tanks the high points of their tanks do actually fill with water. The bottom of their tanks are flat/smooth, in fact their tanks are quite good, the only problem being that (in my most humble of opinion) whoever wrote the installation instructions and who actually positioned the inlet and outlet points had paid absolutely no attention to the van they were going to be fitted to!
Furthermore the straps that they supply to hang them with are of an appalling quality as are also the cheap nasty threaded sections of bar with which you are supposed to hang them. They were so bad that I chucked the ones I was supplied with away and made some myself out of far stronger long lasting materials.

Phil
In which case I stand corrected, but my opinion of CAK themselves stands. Phil :)

Kermavio

Purely for the sake of balance for the newer members on our forum, the service I've had from CAK has been superb. I cannot speak too highly of them, will use them again and would recommend them.

Chris.

silvermachine

Purely for the sake of balance for the newer members on our forum, the service I've had from CAK has been superb. I cannot speak too highly of them, will use them again and would recommend them.
Always good to hear the good and the bad, to balance the discussion. People who've had good service are generally far quieter than those who've had problems.

As an aside, Barratt tanks have a "reverse fill" system for their water tanks which they recommend. This is where there is no filler point, only a drain point with a hose connection on the end of it. To fill the tank, a hose connected to a water supply fills the tank via the drain point. This eliminates the need for ~40mm fill pipe, and cutting into the van side and floor for the fill point. But, I guess it would be impossible to fill your tank using any type of container. Has anybody used this system?? Is it OK?

S

squiffy

My Barratt tank has the conventional fill tube connection, I wasn't given the option when I inquired, but I have to say that I would not have gone for that option if given it, as I would suggest that in a situation where the water pressure was very poor( I've been in places where the water is barely running), doing it that way the weight of water in a partially filled tank would either over come the supply pressure and stop filling the tank or it would take forever to fill completely. Phil

P.s.
As for CAK do the rounds on self build sites and it becomes evident about their service to potential and current customers I'm afraid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spooky_b329

I used http://www.plasticwatertanks.co.uk/. The guy is really helpful although a little challenging at times to work out what he is getting at...also the address I supplied included instructions about a safeplace for the courier, which resulted in a bit of a ranty return phone call about the importance of checking the tank on delivery. I tried to calm matters by pointing out it was no problem, and I asked what courier he uses I re-iterated that I can almost see the depot from my window, it obviously got him a little wound up though :rolleyes: (and the courier wouldn't let me check it before signing anyway)

Anyways, back to the point. My tank is about 75L and 800mm long, if you shine a torch into it you can see there is a baffle halfway.