Tyre pressure

Littleoldman

Today was the first time I have ever tried to get air into my van tyres. Never owned a van and only hired them occasionally. Called in at my local Morrisons and tried to inflate them. My Peugeot Boxer has 65 lb pressure for the back and 59.3 lb (???) in the front. Last week I fitted new springs on the van so there was a different feel to the drive. When I went to fill the air I couldn't get enough air pressure and ended up one rear wheel 59 lb the other 53 lb and the fronts both with 53 lb. Am I doing something wrong or is there a pressure limit on the petrol station equipment? And has anyone bought their own pump and can recommend it? Thanks

Sandbagsid

I found the supermarket one only done mine to 59lbs years ago so I purchased a proper compressor that I used for spraying cars for my brother 150lbs pressure tank. It’s 40years old and still going strong at my mates hire shop now.

Littleoldman

It was a bit of a surprise for me that they are so poor at delivering air pressure. I have a couple of small compressors for my woodwork tools, always wanted a big one. My workshops in the basement and I would need close to a 20 meter hose to get it to the van. Thanks for the reply.

david.c.hall

Certainly there are few supermarket pumps that will do the job. In fact you can often finish up with less pressure than you started with.
That said. The pressure numbers on the door pillar are for the max load for that axle. This is usually above the best pressure for the axle weight that you have (particularly if you have the Maxi version)
It is always a good idea to take your fully loaded, ready for travel, van to a weighbridge and ask them to weigh the front and rear axles separately and use these figures to
Firstly make sure that neither axle is overloaded.
Secondly to obtain best pressures to actually use.
This can be done by contacting the tyre manufacturer and giving them the axle weights, from which you will be given their recommended pressures.
OR you can calculate yourself from the specification marked on the tyres.
Firstly calculate the average weight across the axle (total axle weight divided by 2) and then divide this by the max weight marked on the tyres.
Then multiply the Max pressure marked by the first number you calculated to get the best pressure for the tyres on that axle.
David