Time for my Next build.

Gromett

As the current one has failed it's MOT and uneconomical to repair. Also it is pretty much past it.

Going for a Luton conversion this time. Aiming to start in June. Just saving up at the moment.

Will be sharing build in here and possibly asking a few questions. This is my 3rd build so used to doing this now. But have a few ideas that are a bit different for this one.

Gromett

Multiple reasons.
1) Square box makes construction easier.
2) Chassis rail construction means managing rust easier.
:relievedface: Bed above luton gives more space in van while still having a fixed full size bed.
4) Ability to make side lockers and storage between chassis rails for gas tank etc
5) Can swap box to newer van at a later date without having to redo all accommodation work again.

I did look at doing a 7.5T conversion, but it would prevent me going to some of the place I love going.

Gromett

Yes. Bed in Luton leaving the whole of the main area free for living space.

Not decided on the insulation yet. I will be spray foaming the roof, the luton area and the new back I will be putting in.

The roller shutter doors are coming off and I will be welding in a steel frame and sheathing with 1mm galvanised steel. Then using a domestic Upvc door which will be split. Solid bottom and window in top. The insulation for this steel framework will be the spray foam.

If I have enough spray foam left at the end I may end up spray foaming the sides as well. With Celotex only being used in the floor.

tacr2man

tacr2man

No way that is 12 foot, they must be including the luton

Kev ex courier.
Your probably right , some people couldnt lay straight in bed , as the Aussies say :)

You mentioned UPvc windows , I have seen a couple of conversions with them , but they seem to protrude quite a bit ,
also none that I have seen advertised look like they are flanged to inset in a van wall .

Gromett

Your probably right , some people couldnt lay straight in bed , as the Aussies say :)

You mentioned UPvc windows , I have seen a couple of conversions with them , but they seem to protrude quite a bit ,
also none that I have seen advertised look like they are flanged to inset in a van wall .
1555833833955.png

Gromett

I would add inline engine and dual rear wheels to the list , something like this , which has a decent gauge chassis
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IVECO-DAILY-35C12-MWB-12FT-LUTON-WITH-TAIL-LIFT-2006-56-PLATE-5995-VAT/223477410197?hash=item34084aa995:g:F-wAAOSwnxVckhOV
Avoids fwd with its limited traction deficits , also many fwd base vehicles are weak on the clutch front , and expensive/difficult to do a clutch change . Dual rears give benefits when wild camping . JMHO
Only vehicle ruled out so far is Ford Transits. Thief magnet and rust boxes.

Gromett

RWD with dual rear wheels hits the payload really really hard.
It is desirable but will have to see what the payloads are like in reality.