There's an extra pipe on my bog!

misterg

I've been studying our Thetford C220 loo with a view to constructing the toilet compartment, and what I'd assumed to be electrical conduit relating to the electric flush, somehow, turns out to be a vent tube that runs back to a connection on the top of the cassette.

It was just taped under the base of the loo, and isn't mentioned in the instructions that came with it - am I really supposed to let the cassette vent into the van?
3409DF76-0278-4BC1-A42C-A39921E82D8E.jpeg

BA5F47E4-0D87-495F-BD51-2FCA32AA1FA2.jpeg

E809ED71-BC6B-4CBD-A9C3-255B65E19902.jpeg

Any suggestions?

I'm inclined to lead it outside somewhere - maybe with the addition of a SOG style fan??

Ta.

jjturner

If its like the c400, it's supposed to vent through the floor. My vans going to be like a sieve there'll be that many holes in it.

misterg

My vans going to be like a sieve there'll be that many holes in it
That's just what I thought - yet another bloomin' hole!

There's no cistern on this one, Ken - just a water connection. The pipe mates up with a valve on the top of the cassette.

Through the floor it is, then.

david.c.hall

Yes , I think it is the cassette vent pipe (to stop pressure build up) and as I always fit a SOG, that's what I would do with this.
It's a bit odd that the installation instructions don't mention it :(
David

S

squiffy

Have to say I searched the internet about this pipe on a 220, and nothing came up about it, very odd :closedtongue: Phil.

S

squiffy

My apologies, I didn't know that the vents are now that sort of size, in which case it may very well be a door or floor vent. Phil

misterg

It's convoluted hose, about 15mm diameter. It's definitely a vent for the cassette. It looks like half of the Thetford external vent kit: the automatic valve on the cassette and the little rubber bellows inside the toilet housing that mates with it.

I have a slight concern that if I vent it under the van it could act in reverse when the slider in the loo is opened and actually encourage smells to emerge by supplying air into the cassette. Equally, I don't want to let it vent into the van, and I'm not inclined to fit a vent to the cassette door...

...which leaves the fan option.

I'll probably vent it under the van for now (I've drilled the hole!), but leave provision for fitting a fan at some point.

quilkin

No equivalent pipe the C223-CS toilet that I installed earlier this year. I'd like to fit a vent so was thinking of modifying a spare emptying cap and fitting a vent through that. But if there's an easier 'way in' that would be good. What model is yours, the 220 isn't listed at thetford.com any longer.

misterg

It’s the C223-S (current model with electric flush).

The Thetford ‘external ventilation kit’ seems to contain the necessary bits, possibly also a filter (which I don’t have) but there’s scant information about the kit on Thetford’s site.

You can buy the vent for the cassette, but I’m not sure about the mating part in the body of the toilet.

quilkin

I've looked again at your photos, and I don't have the fitting with the bellows or the pipe. Nor does there seem to be anything for the bellows to mate to on the cassette, although there is an unidentified fitting on the cassette that could be a vent of some sort.
thetford1.JPG thetford2.JPG
Maybe this is the difference between the C223-CS and the C223-S; the CS doesn't have the vent pipe and fittings that you have. But there's no mention of this in the comparison page, just slight differences in sizes and weights. If the addition of the vent parts is a difference, I wish I'd known before ordering.

misterg

Your second photo is the standard vent. This just opens when the cassette is slid into position and closes when you slide the cassette out. You can buy a direct replacement which will just clip into the top of the cassette.

All the bits do seem to be available as a kit which includes the little bellows - e.g.: http://www.waudbys.co.uk/products/details/31520.html?aditem=31520&gref=53077169679&gdev=c&gloc=1007456

(Presumably they'd fit your loo, but I don't know.)

As far as I know, the only difference between the -S and the -CS is that the -CS has a "bell housing" (for want of a better term) that covers the part of the cassette that doesn't fit inside the toilet base whereas the -S needs this to be built in. I thought that they were otherwise identical.

This is the actual one I ordered: http://www.rainbow-conversions.co.uk/cassette-toilets/thetford-c223-s-swivel-cassette-toilet.html

There's absolutely no mention of the pipe/venting system in the instructions.

quilkin

Your second photo is the standard vent. This just opens when the cassette is slid into position and closes when you slide the cassette out.
Ok, that makes sense, so in that case my vent currently just goes to the area around the toilet base and nowhere else unless I open the access door (which is inside the van in my case). Maybe I need a gas dropout in the floor.
Have you tried calling Rainbow? They may be able to help.
No yet, but I will, and Waudbys as well.
Thanks all.