The Chinese Hot Air & Water Heater (Truma) has arrived.

egg-fried-rice

JP Combi Diesel Hot Air and Water Heater (Truma Copy?): As a few on this forum are currently building camper-vans I thought I would post this as an alternative form of Heating and Hot Water.

The JP heater looks to be a Truma copy or very close. Whilst the Truma Unit retails at a price that some may not wish to pay this Chinese version may be a good alternative and perhaps worth considering.

I took the plunge and bought one, however, I waited for a few months before posting this article as I wanted to test it and see for myself if it is as good as the manufacturer claims.

I know some Chinese suppliers don’t get good reviews but I have to say this looks to be a very well made unit, JP have been making vehicle heaters for over 20 years. So far its working great, I have had it for around 4 months and I cant fault it. It provides excellent heating, bags of hot water and is surprisingly quiet. I’ve connected it directly to my diesel tank, I am diesel and electric throughout and don’t use any LPG.

Gas or Diesel: You have the choice as JP make both. What is interesting is that the Truma Diesel version is a lot more expensive than their LPG version, if I am, not mistaken its about double the price. However the JP versions are the same price.

I decided on Diesel: Unfortunately LPG at the UK filling station is in decline, the distributors Autogas which is formed by Shell and Calor have already withdrawn a lot of their LPG services. You may find the following links https://www.filllpg.co.uk/ MyLPG (app) and www.drivelpg.co.uk useful for alternative sites.

Price: The price of the Truma (Diesel) is around £2500 depending on where you buy it. The JP Version (Diesel or LPG) is $950 (USD) Plus shipping.

Compatibility: The parts appear to be compatible (maybe identical) with the Truma. No doubt you would invalidate the Truma warranty but if anyone has a Truma heater out of warranty that needs parts then it may be worth finding out more.

I have already had people ask me about the JP Heater, the first person to ask me ended up buying one recently. I try to avoid putting links to my website in this forum but sometimes its unavoidable. The site doesn't promote any products, it cannot be found in google, I make zero from it and I dont include any personal email or contact details, its purely there to help, no more, no less. If you need info on A) where to buy? B) how long it takes to ship? C) what it costs? D) how to fit? E) how to connect a direct feed from your vehicle fuel tank to the heater?.... etc etc then the following links will cover these topics which are far too large to put in this post.

Hope this is of some benefit to someone.

One final point: I ordered the heater on a Tuesday and transferred the bank payment the same day. Payment was confirmed Thursday, heater shipped Friday (FedEx) Heater was on my doorstep the following Monday (total one week).

JP Combi Heater Installation:
JP Combi Diesel Hot Water Heater – DIY Van (diyvan.co.uk)

Installing the Fuel Line to the Diesel Tank (useful for any diesel heater).
Diesel Fuel Tank Pipe – DIY Van (diyvan.co.uk)

jp001.png

jp002.jpg

IMG_0604.JPEG

heaterdisplay.jpg

jmatosp

Thanks for the report, very helpful.

Currently looking into options for heating & hot water, im leaning for underslung optios.

Barry Pudney

Hi there have read through both your findings on the LP diesel D6E Combi and as you so rightly state the Truma is so expensive and have quite a few issues That brings me onto this unit,have you encountered any other issues apart from the start up.Shall be interested to know,also before I forget, how much fuel does it use,as am thinking of installing a separate fuel tank

Rimmerkoi

Barry Putney, stop procrastinating and buy one, then you can tell everyone how brilliant they are... lol :p

egg-fried-rice

Hi there have read through both your findings on the LP diesel D6E Combi and as you so rightly state the Truma is so expensive and have quite a few issues That brings me onto this unit,have you encountered any other issues apart from the start up.Shall be interested to know,also before I forget, how much fuel does it use,as am thinking of installing a separate fuel tank

Reliable?: I have used it long enough now to be fully satisfied, it’s reliable.

Start Up: Is fast, my van goes from freezing to warm as toast in no time at all. Hot air circulates in about 4 minutes. I set the temperature I want, everything is automated (I can also set the time when it turns on). If you were referring to my other post then the Webasto Diesel Cooker has a warm-up period and a full kettle can take 15 minutes to boil, the heater is not the same.

One thing I would say is that it’s worth considering tapping into your vehicles fuel tank, it’s not difficult if you have a Peugeot Boxer, Fiat or Citroen. Below is a link to show how it’s done.

How to fit the Fuel Line: http://diyvan.co.uk/. (see link Diesel Fuel Tank Pipe)

Alternatively: A friend of mine has recently bought a JP Diesel heater and paid to have his VW Crafter fitted with a direct diesel feed to the heater (I believe they dropped the fuel tank which isn’t necessarily in the Peugeot Fiat Citroen ). He’s owned campervans for years, he currently has three (dont ask me why it’s a long story). He’s moving away from LPG. In his area it’s just too much trouble to find LPG.

Fuel consumption: The heater uses a tiny amount of fuel, so small that I am unable to measure it on the Peugeot’s fuel gauge. I use it all the time and never have to worry about fuel or finding it and that makes a real difference.

Do I rate it? The following statement may not be to everyone’s liking (LPG owners look away) nor do I think that most will agree with me but if I bought a camper-van fitted with LPG, the first thing I would do is take it out and replace it with diesel (How dare he say such things, shame on him). Sorry if I upset the LPG purists, I may end up living in exile now.

If you need a contact at JP then send me a private message and I will pass on the contact details of the person I dealt with. They kept me updated using WhatsApp.

Last edited:

Barry Pudney

Reliable?: I have used it long enough now to be fully satisfied, it’s reliable.

Start Up: Is fast, my van goes from freezing to warm as toast in no time at all. Hot air circulates in about 4 minutes. I set the temperature I want, everything is automated (I can also set the time when it turns on). If you were referring to my other post then the Webasto Diesel Cooker has a warm-up period and a full kettle can take 15 minutes to boil, the heater is not the same.

One thing I would say is that it’s worth considering tapping into your vehicles fuel tank, it’s not difficult if you have a Peugeot Boxer, Fiat or Citroen. Below is a link to show how it’s done.

How to fit the Fuel Line: http://diyvan.co.uk/. (see link Diesel Fuel Tank Pipe)

Alternatively: A friend of mine has recently bought a JP Diesel heater and paid to have his VW Crafter fitted with a direct diesel feed to the heater (I believe they dropped the fuel tank which isn’t necessarily in the Peugeot Fiat Citroen ). He’s owned campervans for years, he currently has three (dont ask me why it’s a long story). He’s moving away from LPG. In his area it’s just too much trouble to find LPG.

Fuel consumption: The heater uses a tiny amount of fuel, so small that I am unable to measure it on the Peugeot’s fuel gauge. I use it all the time and never have to worry about fuel or finding it and that makes a real difference.

Do I rate it? The following statement may not be to everyone’s liking (LPG owners look away) nor do I think that most will agree with me but if I bought a camper-van fitted with LPG, the first thing I would do is take it out and replace it with diesel (How dare he say such things, shame on him). Sorry if I upset the LPG purists, I may end up living in exile now.

If you need a contact at JP then send me a private message and I will pass on the contact details of the person I dealt with. They kept me updated using WhatsApp.

Barry Pudney

Many thanks for that information that you sent to me.Ive already looked at how you tackled removing the fuel tank sender unit and the various hick ups along the way.Myself I shall install one of the Chinese 15ltr fuel tanks underneath our bed, as it allows me easy access to fill up and view the level.When I do get it I'll carry out a photo detail of its insulation into our vehicle

egg-fried-rice

Many thanks for that information that you sent to me.Ive already looked at how you tackled removing the fuel tank sender unit and the various hick ups along the way.Myself I shall install one of the Chinese 15ltr fuel tanks underneath our bed, as it allows me easy access to fill up and view the level.When I do get it I'll carry out a photo detail of its insulation into our vehicle
It sounds a good solution Barry and I would guess there would be a few interested in seeing your photos once installed. A 15ltr tank takes up very little space and it should last a long time.

xfact

Had a gas heater. Never again:) reg. the separate diesel tank, I remember in the bad old gas times, the gas bottle always tends to run out around 3 a.m. and by the time the wife kicks you out of bed to change to the spare bottle, the van is dead cold. Som ow imagine you run out of diesel and the lid to fill up is under the bed... I personally believe that tapping in the main diesel tank is the best way.

Barry Pudney

Had a gas heater. Never again:) reg. the separate diesel tank, I remember in the bad old gas times, the gas bottle always tends to run out around 3 a.m. and by the time the wife kicks you out of bed to change to the spare bottle, the van is dead cold. Som ow imagine you run out of diesel and the lid to fill up is under the bed... I personally believe that tapping in the main diesel tank is the best way.
One keeps an eye on things,but one can also tap in a sender unit that links to a separate fuel gauge where you can keep an on the level,like you do with your main fuel tank.....but let's imagine you have had it on a while and you run out of fuel...now that would cost you more.Where as a separate fuel tank is easier.

jjturner

One keeps an eye on things,but one can also tap in a sender unit that links to a separate fuel gauge where you can keep an on the level,like you do with your main fuel tank.....but let's imagine you have had it on a while and you run out of fuel...now that would cost you more.Where as a separate fuel tank is easier.
I'd recommend using the official Truma or ebersacher kits to tap the tank. It's designed to sit above the bottom of the tank, so it never drains it the main tank fully.

jmatosp

Interesting, didn't know that was similat to my country. The diesel is exactly the same with a colour pigment so authorities know its destined for heating and off road vehicles. I assume is a red pigment, in my country is green.

"
is red diesel bad?
Red diesel is a fuel used to run 'off road' vehicles, particularly tractors and other agricultural vehicles. ... Doing so is considered tax evasion and anyone caught driving on a public road using red diesel would be likely to face charges."

xfact

In my 4 years experience with a diesel heater in the current van, I learned that my myself, the best strategy is to fill the 90 ltr. tank and forget. The Webasto tank diesel pickup, is designed in such a way that it can not drain completely the car tank.