Sun Deck / Roof Deck - How

Stewart Townsend

So

mid build about a week to go until the interior is usable and exterior sprayed, I want to add a roof/sun deck at some stage but the gutter around the old truck won't stand any strength on it.

How do I go about adding a 5m x 2m long roof deck from box section onto the roof so the weight is spread and it's attached to something, thinking pot rivet nuts going into the roof joists?

Anyone else done something on old merc 811/814 ?

tacr2man

What you could do is put the legs over the gutter and bolt to plates fixed to side wall of van use spreader plates to share the load inside and out . The tidier way would be to use a contoured strap over full width of roof down as far as gutter and mount legs to that something like 100mm wide and say 5mm thick . Position them so they mirror the internal roof struts Use bolts with washers and sealant rather than rivets .

Last edited:

Stewart Townsend

Hi Tacr2man what are contour straps ? I now dont have access to the internal ceiling so anything I do has to be simple lol. Spreader plates sounds good but would I have to bolt them from the inside ?

tacr2man

basically a contour strap is a long spreader plate that follows the shape of the roof right across the width on the outside of the roof and you bolt thru to spreader plates on the inside at ends and in middle. The rack supports are welded to the contour strip .

tacr2man

You haven't got a lot of options if you want a rack on roof , all that is left is running channel cross on chassis and then putting bars up outsides of van to go over hoof as hoop , like they do on some 4x4 . Wont fit in very well with awning .
Looks like you are not having a rack !

tacr2man

The sides are sheet and not designed to take a load vertically unless you positioned the plates so they would pick up on the side reinforcing uprights . But by look of your pic you have a large awning on the offside , or are you able to get behind that ?

tacr2man

That roofs barely supporting itself , better to bite the bullet , and pull the inside lining out and do some repairing , fix both probs (roof and rack) at one go . JMHO

Darcar

Until I saw the pictures of your gutters/roof,
I was going to suggest that you could have riveted some large-ish steel plates to your roof with bolts welded to the plate, to bolt the deck onto.
But I think it’s time you really did some proper repair work on it!
Good luck.