SPRAY FOAM INSULATION From 'One Insulation'

• Thread starter Deleted member 2
  • Start date

Hazlenut

Haven't done this yet but this is how I understand it:
What thickness is this price for?
Around 25mm or 1" I think. That's approximate of course as the thickness varies due to the nature of sprayed on foam. Adam at MPI for example reckons 25-30mm on average. You can go thicker though, just costs a little more.
Assuming they spray over the internal ribs, how does one go about framing out the van if you can't get to the metal for bolt holes/screws?
Most folks batten out the van completely before spraying.
I assume spray foam doesn't have the compressive strength to work as a floor. What's the best approach to take here? XPS?
A commonly used approach is to use wood to batten out the floor then fill the spaces between with PIR (Celotex/Kingspan, etc), although flexible foam matting which is available in decent thicknesses on eBay now is becoming popular too. Whichever is used, ply on top then some flooring of your choice (linoleum, carpet, etc).
Do a search here for 'celotex' and you'll see some useful examples.

Andy.

misterg

In response to West Wales...

This lot are in Crosshands, and claim to do "road or marine vehicles".

No experience of them.

http://sprayfoamwales.com/about.html

It's used a lot for boats, so asking around Pembroke Dock / Milford areas might give you some leads - failing that, look for narrow-boat builders (you'll probably need to go east of Swansea though).

Hazlenut

does anybody no if there's a company that does it in west Wales or recommendations read up my only worry is panel distortion cheers
Can't help with Wales, sorry.

The risk of panel distortion seems to be mainly where the outside skin meets the ribs as spraying too much foam into those enclosed spaces can cause a pressure build up. You should be okay with professional sprayers with a track record but if it's bothering you then you could:
  • Check none of the panels are loose against the ribs (and therefore might be pushed out by foam expansion) and if they are, glue them down with Stixall or equivalent.
  • buy fire-rated foam in single cans, do those parts yourself and just get your sprayer do do the exposed panels.

D

Deleted member 2

Literally found this thread (and the price being 3 times lower than what I had been quoted elsewhere!!) out of the corner of my eye whilst on the checkout page for sheeps wool... Cue a short existential crisis (sheeps wool really does make air quality exceptional; but no doubt it's less insulating and much more of a time sink than getting someone else to do the spray foam. As time's a concern, I'm pretty tempted.

Few of questions if I may:

1> What thickness is this price for? Wondering what R-value to expect for cost comparison.

2> Assuming they spray over the internal ribs, how does one go about framing out the van if you can't get to the metal for bolt holes/screws?

3> I assume spray foam doesn't have the compressive strength to work as a floor. What's the best approach to take here? XPS?

4> Any gotchas/things I should know (beyond the need to obsessively tape off -EVERYTHING- in the van x'D)?
In reply: -

1> approx. 25mm thick as for 'R' value heaven knows but mine has kept me warm in temperatures right down to -10C.

2> You must mask off the ribs prior to having your van spray foamed, plus comprehensively masking off absolutely everything you don't want spraying, this obviously includes windows and roof lights and sheeting off the cab area..... This stuff floats like a butterfly and sticks to quite literally anything it lands on!
As for the ribs themselves mine were all filled in with spray-foam.

3> I wouldn't suggest spraying the floor as, in my opinion, so much needs to happen to the floor of the van, so in my case I installed 25 x 50 battens at 300mm centers and used Cellotex between.

4> Some people are worried about panel distortion, but if a true professional undertakes the job, they only ghost down layers, gradually building up the thickness between passes

good luck

Phil

Darcar

I would recommend that you fit all your battens before your insulation, same goes for your doors, windows, and any holes like your water filter, your flue for the water heater etc... then mask everything as it’s been said.

You really can’t do anything better to a van then spray foam insulation not only does it keep you warm and cold! It also sound deadens the echoey rear space.
Darcar.

Was think of getting the Windows roof lights first then getting then the foam insulation definitely getting it done cheers

Fran Loake

3> I wouldn't suggest spraying the floor as, in my opinion, so much needs to happen to the floor of the van, so in my case I installed 25 x 50 battens at 300mm centers and used Cellotex between.

4> Some people are worried about panel distortion, but if a true professional undertakes the job, they only ghost down layers, gradually building up the thickness between passes
I used Adam at MPI, a very experienced, helpful chap - But I did get panel distortion. It's the nature of the beast in my opinion.
It might not happen every time but it can happen. It doesn't bother me unduly though.

I also had the floor sprayed as well and am pleased I did. A cold floor would be an issue with my wife.

Would I use spray foam again? Yes, most likely. I want the van to be used in hot and cold climes and this does the job well.

Fran

Baldy754

In reply: -

2> You must mask off the ribs prior to having your van spray foamed, plus comprehensively masking off absolutely everything you don't want spraying, this obviously includes windows and roof lights and sheeting off the cab area.....

good luck

Phil
Hi Phil, why mask off all of the ribs prior to spraying?

Paul

Kermavio

does anybody no if there's a company that does it in west Wales or recommendations read up my only worry is panel distortion cheers
Can't help you on the first bit but don't worry about panel distortion. I think it's one of those urban myths and doesn't actually exist. I've never heard of anyone who has had a panel put out of shape and, when you think about it, how could it happen? For distortion to occur, the foam has to be under extreme compression to force the panel to change shape. But one side of the foam is a girt empty space called the interior of the van. So at whatever pressure the foam is applied, or even constricted by a rib, it will expand safely away from the panels, not into them.

D

Deleted member 2

Hi Phil, why mask off all of the ribs prior to spraying?

Paul
The reason Baldy754 is that you will almost certainly be attaching plywood or some other kind of wall covering and these have to be attached to the ribs or battens attached to them.

As for panel distortion etc. @Fran Loake, I too had my spray foaming done by Adam, but there was no panel distortion. The only thing I can say though having watched both Adam @ MPI doing my van as well as Jake and Danny of One Insulation performing their magical art of exceptionally smooth spraying. The biggest and most noticeable difference was that once Adam had started he simply kept on going, never taking sample temperature checks etc., whereas Jake and Danny take ages getting the exact temperature.
The difference of result achieved by both companies honestly have to be seen to be believed, Adams efforts resulted in masses of overspray and an exceptionally lumpy finish whereas (as I have written before) Danny's efforts are almost mirror smooth!

Phil

fifthwheel

Jim Davidson mentions Jack and Danny in his videos I wonder if its these two he is talking about.:)