some pics of my build.

billy192

Just remember seat legs have to be under plated to mot plate spec size and correct high tensile bolts used.
Roadrunner can you point me to this rule/spec please?
I want to be compliant. I have looked and looked but only find is this

and it says counter plates must be at least 40cm2 per mounting and must be a minimum thickness of either 3mm for steel or 5mm for light alloy.

which I have followed.

Billy

tacr2man

Below is a quote for seatbelt seat installation requirement in buses .

It is unacceptable to fit seats, with seat belts, directly to unsupported wooden floors unless additional reinforcement is provided. This will involve the fitting of steel reinforcement plates of minimum dimensions 92mm diameter x 3mm thick (or a rectangular plate of minimum dimensions 65x 100 x 3 mm), between the underside of the floor and the securing nut below the floor of the rear leg and between the leg and the topside of the floor of the front leg. If the area of the foot of the front leg is greater than 65 x 100 mm, then the front reinforcement plate is unnecessary

You can read a lot in section 3 about seatbelt and seat installation in inspection manual link below

Your conversion will not be inspected , but the above manual should give you info as to what would be expected if it was , HTSH

billy192

Below is a quote for seatbelt seat installation requirement in buses .

It is unacceptable to fit seats, with seat belts, directly to unsupported wooden floors unless additional reinforcement is provided. This will involve the fitting of steel reinforcement plates of minimum dimensions 92mm diameter x 3mm thick (or a rectangular plate of minimum dimensions 65x 100 x 3 mm), between the underside of the floor and the securing nut below the floor of the rear leg and between the leg and the topside of the floor of the front leg. If the area of the foot of the front leg is greater than 65 x 100 mm, then the front reinforcement plate is unnecessary

You can read a lot in section 3 about seatbelt and seat installation in inspection manual link below

Your conversion will not be inspected , but the above manual should give you info as to what would be expected if it was , HTSH
Brilliant thanks acr2man, nice bed time reading .

checked today and my plates are 85x85x6 and 5 of them so I am satisfied .
IMG_2544.jpg IMG_2545.jpg

billy192

today was Oil time. I fancy doing engine and gear box. not sure when they were done and did not want to wail for next service.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg used an old 10mm rench for the square box drain nut 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg after taking the bat box not exactly straight in front 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg drained 2.7 lt out it did not look to bad but happy to have new oil in.

Roadrunner

i have put 50x50 x 6 plates under each leg. can you point me to the regs please as i only find rally car regs

Billy
Veh construction and use which can be found online or ask at a mot station, i got the fifth degree at my test centre and a fail until I pointed out my floor is wooden which they cannot test, but had fitted angle bars across chassis runners, mot reversed and cert sorted.

Roadrunner

billy192

not bothered how many holes as long as they don't leak lol, don't want to mess
with cassette inside, just my preference. got 3 left to do, 240 hook up point. Water fill and gas fill.
Billy

billy192

I thought I would start with over the cab. For the furniture board It was a toss up between Driftwood or Zabrano from Morlands. (over £1600 for 7 boards and 4 for the celling) and thanks to Greg Virgoe I went for the Zabrano. 3mm router bit and black T rubber. That router needs a bit of focus. I had to practice on a few bits but not so afraid of it now.

one.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

Dazco

What are you using to cut the board and are you managing to do it without chipping the coating?

billy192

What are you using to cut the board and are you managing to do it without chipping the coating?
Hi Dazco,
large cuts hand held circular saw 80tooth new blade and jig saw with steal cutting blade. masking tape on top so I can see the lines. No chips so far.
Billy

Last edited:

billy192

The first vid I saw was Greg Virgoe and I was so impressed. I am not the best carpenter but relish a challenge. The best advice I read on here was only build the van for you . it will shape to your needs and you will probably keep changing / adjusting till it suits you. I am really enjoying learning all the new things. The help and ideas on here are brilliant so thank.

Looking forward to going out and using it
Billy

egg-fried-rice

The first vid I saw was Greg Virgoe and I was so impressed. I am not the best carpenter but relish a challenge. The best advice I read on here was only build the van for you . it will shape to your needs and you will probably keep changing / adjusting till it suits you. I am really enjoying learning all the new things. The help and ideas on here are brilliant so thank.

Looking forward to going out and using it
Billy
If you don’t shoot you will always miss. Once completed I am sure you will have a real sense of achievement every time you go out in the van. The Zabrano from Morland was a good choice, it looks great. Its also what makes Greg Virgoe’s van that bit special in my opinion.