Securing interior walls neatly

mrmoosehead

So I'm planning on a design a bit like this:
Layout.png
The bed will be raised _but removable_ (i.e. two "ladders")
The "bulkhead" by the sink will not be full height.
However, the shower/loo cubicle will be floor to ceiling and needs to be well secured. If I do this after the walls and ceiling, I am left with the conundrum of how to secure it without having ugly braces/blocks on one side or the other of the walls. Some I can hide in the garage / bench seat, but in particular, I am thinking of the ceiling.
I could do it inside the shower and lower the ceiling there a bit, but I am 6'1" so would rather avoid that.
Also, there will be raised storage either side of the shower that I could possibly hide some bracketing in.

The other option that springs to mind is to put the bulkhead walls in _before_ the ceiling / walls. Then cover the blocks/braces with the ceiling/wall covering. However, this may make it harder to do walls etc.

MrsMoosehead thinks I should do proper framed walls, but that will take up precious space. But she may have a point. She often does.

@egg-fried-rice any advice from yours, which seems similar - i.e. single skin ply walls.

Thanks in advance for all your wise words

egg-fried-rice

So I'm planning on a design a bit like this:

@egg-fried-rice any advice from yours, which seems similar - i.e. single skin ply walls.

Thanks in advance for all your wise words
Glad I kept a library of images (it’s well worth taking images of every stage, you never know when you may need them), I haven’t counted them but there must be a few hundred.

I braced the top and bottom corners using Triangular Metal Brackets not shown in the images below. I also had upper lockers or cupboards to screw the walls to and aluminium corner supports.

I hope these images provide the information you are seeking. Rather than fill this post with images (I have too many) then if you need more there are further images showing the completion of the bathroom on my website look for “Bathroom and Wet Room“ in the categories column on the right hand side http://diyvan.co.uk/

9CD95AC0-DC0D-4013-8D9D-22B527EB9B9E.jpeg 6E8E1602-3E90-4B09-9165-8C22C101E09D.jpeg 2B8D9189-7406-43DA-8DD1-820811574C9C.jpeg 6E02D85B-AA72-4B28-B548-4778D888771C.jpeg 6FA1A3A2-18C6-45C5-B744-0EC97DA29609.jpeg D1C0CB78-8DE3-4057-AF9A-4C77C18C1560.jpeg CACF80EA-827D-496D-B79B-6B07EA353266.jpeg 5E195B55-98C8-429D-93F4-8359E34D48F9.jpeg
66D78CB5-7C88-4AEC-8C30-7D3C0DD131D5.jpeg AA799F80-3D0C-4943-A266-E0296907F1B3.jpeg

Last edited:

jmatosp

I was wondering the same for shower and cabinets.

I was thinking for shower, one side frameless and other side with frame so I can fit plumbing inside the frame.

So many question right?

egg-fried-rice

A couple more images that I feel are important. If you look at the finished bathroom it gives the impression that everything was hunky dory or straightforward but the reality is that its not. I am no joiner or carpenter. In truth I had no end of problems.

What really took place was that I made an entire mock-up first out of scrap wood. I didn't trust myself to attempt it first time. I was afraid of cutting a £150-ish panel and cocking it up. Cut big panels first because if you get it wrong you can use whats left for cupboard doors (fortunately I didn't have to). The images below show the final templates. I must have made two sets. The first set was a disaster you could drive a coach through some of the gaps.

To be honest I made everything in the van out of scrap wood, tested it, adjusted it and then made the final version. Its fair to say I built the interior at least twice.

If its an important cut then make it out of scrap wood first even if you have to buy cheap wood. Its saves a temper tantrum. Remember, measure once, cut twice and blame someone else if its wrong.

IMG_2086.JPEG IMG_2113.JPEG IMG_2153.JPEG

Dont believe images like this, what they dont show are all the errors, problems and almighty cock-ups that happened before the task was completed.
Photo 03-09-2020, 11 49 41.jpg

Last edited:

egg-fried-rice

I was wondering the same for shower and cabinets.

I was thinking for shower, one side frameless and other side with frame so I can fit plumbing inside the frame.

So many question right?
Frames come at a price in terms of space (depending on the vehicle). Its possible but in my van I just hadn't the space I needed, it would have impacted on the bed size. I wanted a standard size double therefore if I had used frames I would have had a small double. A lot depends on your layout and what you wish to compromise.

Compared to most Peugeot Boxers this is a large bed. But I value good sleep especially in hot weather so a good size bed was at the top of my list of requirements. I just had to have it and refused to compromise.

Photo 23-10-2020, 14 49 34.jpg

mrmoosehead

Glad I kept a library of images (it’s well worth taking images of every stage, you never know when you may need them), I haven’t counted them but there must be a few hundred.
I hope these images provide the information you are seeking. Rather than fill this post with images (I have too many) then if you need more there are further images showing the completion of the bathroom on my website look for “Bathroom and Wet Room“ in the categories column on the right hand side http://diyvan.co.uk/
I'm glad you did too. And yes, I've read your site. Many times. In detail. It has been invaluable. Thank you.