Seats

tesan-man

Hi

So I have bought a pre-registered Renault Master, collecting it next week - so the build will commence!

I have lots of questions, but rather than blast them all out at once, I thought I'd stage it. So first off, have many of you swapped the driver / passenger seats in your van. My Master has a double passenger and as there is no swivel available for it, I need to decide whether to swap it for the "correct" single Renault passenger seat, or buy 2 new other seats, or find second hand alternatives (I understand the Grand Espace seats might be an option).

Any thoughts please?

Martin

Wanderer

Welcome to the forum
I bought a single passenger seat from a company called SealSkinz UK. They were advertising them on Ebay and had seats for various types of van including the Renault Master. These seats apparently came from a conversion company that was swapping out the standard seats for a more luxurious type. I know someone who contacted them after I had bought mine only to be told they had none left but it may be worth a phone call to see if they can help.
https://www.seatskinz.co.uk/
If you can't get an original seat then you may be able to get an original single seat base from ebay as some companies advertise accident damage vehicles for spares. You would then have to find a suitable seat that could be made to fit.

Wanderer

Last edited:

pete53

I used a VW T4 base , welded brackets to fit the single seat holes , new swivel to fit VW base and a Saab seat from a 9-3 . Works well .

tesan-man

Thanks for the replies - the seat on ebay looks promising. I wondered if anyone has gone for aftermarket seats?

Martin

Wanderer

I suppose it depends upon how practical you are and how much work you want to do. If you buy the Renault single seat it will bolt straight onto the original fittings in the van, the seat belt will unbolt from the double seat and bolt straight onto the single one, a 10-15 minute job to complete the work. On some vans there isn't an airbag on the passenger side so therefore no need to take into account airbag wiring.

Darcar

Hi I’v used Cabmarsters for various parts for our van they well be worth a call.

D

Deleted member 2

When I converted my Renault Master I spent ages hunting for a single passenger seat and eventually found what I wanted in Poland on eBay with the correct trim, mind you it cost more than a few bob having it shipped over here!
Phil

lep

i fitted a set of ford galaxy swivel seats made up some new baces and swapped the swivels over so they swivel in instead of out 120pound for both on ebay

tesan-man

Update: after much faffing, and looking at various aftermarket seat options (limited for the Master), I eventually bought one of the seats posted about on ebay. As far as I could ascertain, Sportscraft seemed to be the only aftermarket seats available for the Master, and they have a very limited choice of fabrics.

The Master has arrived and been fitted!

You can see in the background I have started wiring and some insulation!

Martin

VanNV

Very jealous. I would love a walk-through but not really in budget at the moment, I will have to put up with a clamber-through for now.

Out of curiosity @tesan-man, was it just a bolt-out/bolt-in?

tesan-man

Out of curiosity @tesan-man, was it just a bolt-out/bolt-in?
Pretty much. The old seat just unbolts - 5 bolts into the floor and the seat belt anchor bolt; you then need to cut a hole in the rubber mat for the right (nearest handbrake) front seat "leg" to sit in, and in that position under the mat was a "one-way" bolt in the mounting hole that needed removing - it was one of those slotted bolts you can screw in but not out! So that took a bit of persuading with a small cold-chisel..... And I am left with two other holes in the mat where the double seat "legs" were. One will get hidden by a front table mount, and we'll probably end up with some mats in the front that will cover the other.

Cheers

Martin

VanNV

Pretty much. The old seat just unbolts - 5 bolts into the floor and the seat belt anchor bolt; you then need to cut a hole in the rubber mat for the right (nearest handbrake) front seat "leg" to sit in, and in that position under the mat was a "one-way" bolt in the mounting hole that needed removing - it was one of those slotted bolts you can screw in but not out! So that took a bit of persuading with a small cold-chisel..... And I am left with two other holes in the mat where the double seat "legs" were. One will get hidden by a front table mount, and we'll probably end up with some mats in the front that will cover the other.

Cheers

Martin
I have just bought one of those seats. Having the walk through is one of the things that changes the whole nature of the vehicle and I can't imagine that things like that come up too often (whereas I can buy a fridge next year...)

D

Deleted member 2

Having the walk through is one of the things that changes the whole nature of the vehicle and I can't imagine that things like that come up too often (whereas I can buy a fridge next year...)
I totally agree, I honestly couldn't live with a motorhome that I couldn't walk through from the cab area to the living area. Not long ago when driving along a dual carriageway close to Bristol, the traffic suddenly ground to a halt and we sat for ages and ages stationary............ I suddenly became aware of an urgent call of nature, as us old uns get at time, so I jumped up from my seat and went to the back of 'Millie' to relieve the situation, now that wouldn't have been possible without a walk through!!

Phil

VanNV

I totally agree, I honestly couldn't live with a motorhome that I couldn't walk through from the cab area to the living area. Not long ago when driving along a dual carriageway close to Bristol, the traffic suddenly ground to a halt and we sat for ages and ages stationary............ I suddenly became aware of an urgent call of nature, as us old uns get at time, so I jumped up from my seat and went to the back of 'Millie' to relieve the situation, now that wouldn't have been possible without a walk through!!

Phil
With me it's Tea not Pee (c:

Nothing beats the feeling of stopping somewhere scenic and going back to make a cup of char without going outside. Dunno why, but it really seems to emphasise the freedom.

In fact I think I shall go and have a cup of tea in my half-finished van just parked on the drive!

I have the double front passenger seat in my Citroen Relay which I'd like to replace with a single seat but they seem to be rarer than hens teeth (unless I spend lots of dosh), which got me wondering, modern car seats are plentiful from car scrap yards so providing its properly fitted - what's to stop me going down that route ?

D

Deleted member 2

I have the double front passenger seat in my Citroen Relay which I'd like to replace with a single seat but they seem to be rarer than hens teeth (unless I spend lots of dosh), which got me wondering, modern car seats are plentiful from car scrap yards so providing its properly fitted - what's to stop me going down that route ?
Nothing whatsoever, in fact a large number of people fit duel captain type swivel seats from the likes of the Renault Master. The only problem you might experience is getting the seat belt fitting electrical gubbins to talk to your vans ECU.

By the way, show willing and introduce yourself in the INTRODUCTIONS part of our oh so friendly forum, by doing so, more people will start to know who you are.

All the best

Phil