Rivet nuts

Jamers11

Hi does anyone know if I will be able to fix the brackets for a fiamma f80s 400 awning to my Mercedes sprinter using rivet nuts as I don’t fancy making holes in the ceiling boards. Even though they would be inside the storage cupboard if I could use rivet nuts it would be so much easier. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

BigStevie

Yes is the answer. I’ve seen fiamma brackets fitted with riv nuts to a high roof 2010 sprinter in the gully on the top of the roof. Maybe best to ensure the brackets are located on or near the internal roof ribs.

mrmoosehead

Just beware rivnuts in some cases. They are amazing things, but they need the bolt to be perfectly aligned.
Get it wrong, and you end up binding.
And if you end up binding (or just overtighten), you might find that the rivnut gives up its grip and starts to spin. And then it's anglegrinder time to get the bloody things out.

YMMV

Sandbagsid

Trouble with them it’s easy to over tighten them and with the weight of the awning I don’t think they would hold, maybe use an adhesive on the brackets as well to give it more grip.

BigAldo

I agree with what's already been said, and would urge caution. Rivnuts are relatively soft aluminium, and by design they have to readily deform in order to expand behind the panel they are being inserted into. If you are inserting them into thin steel body panels I would be inclined to add spreader plates behind the panel if access is available, to compensate for any extra weight they will be carrying. Obviously additional loads will be generated if the awning's out and a gust of wind lifts it.

egg-fried-rice

Consider the weigh of the awning and the leverage it would have if one part was to become free. Mine is 51kg and 4 meters long. Even with brackets designed for my Peugeot they still require you to use Sikaflex 252 on the plates supplied and designed for the mushrooms (252 is super strong but pricey). I wouldn’t risk using Rivnuts.