Rain test

mrmoosehead

One 1.5 hour trip i could suffer. But to go 1.5 hours and leave it, then go back again, so they could then tell.me they couldnt do it and then rinse and repeat is the problem

egg-fried-rice

One 1.5 hour trip i could suffer. But to go 1.5 hours and leave it, then go back again, so they could then tell.me they couldnt do it and then rinse and repeat is the problem
If a dealer cannot repair it then surely they have to provide a new vehicle. The problem is that you have to be careful about employing outside work by an unauthorised dealer, soon as you do you seriously reduce your option of a further claim or make it considerably more difficult. Even so you shouldn’t be footing the repair costs.

Maybe you are approaching the stage were legal assistance is required, a good solictors first consultation should usually be free as he/she will assess what input they can provide. They should be able to claim their costs as well as all your peripheral costs (fuel, loss of use etc).

mrmoosehead

Saga continues. Finally had the inspection at the bodyshop. Chap there reckoned that Peugeot would avoid any responsibility due to campervan fitting works.
They won't do anything without written confirmation from Peugeot that the work would be covered ( unless i pay myself)
They'd start with a full day of water tests to confirm where the water is coming in.
Even then, he reckoned that the only fix they would be likely to do would involve sikaflex in any spaces/holes.
His comment was: "you look like you know what you are doing, you might as well.sort it yourself."

So, choice is between a battle with Peugeot and multiple trips of 2 hours to this place, plus months more and no guarantee of a fix
Or I just write this off and try fix myself so I can get on with things.

Sandbagsid

sounds like they don’t want to be bothered with the problem, only trouble with trying to do it yourself it will void the guarantee so be careful.

egg-fried-rice

Did you add anything to the roof, like roof vents or solar? Your recent update that a full day of tests needs to be conducted suggests this is because they don’t know or are not sure of the source of this water.

If you think water is getting in around the door then this self adhesive compression foam strip is used to seal building sections. It’s been around a long time and is proven to work on moving joints or expanding sections. Its also cheap to buy. Run it around the sliding door so when closed it sits against the van body and then see if water still gets in. It also looks neat when fitted so long it’s fitted straight.

Attachments

• DE1977FD-C886-43F7-9F69-28EDC9C64C5E.jpeg
    DE1977FD-C886-43F7-9F69-28EDC9C64C5E.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 0

mrmoosehead

The only thing on that side of the roof (and it would have to be that side, given the angle the van is canted back at) is the roofrack and awning. Which are connected to the T bolts in the roof.
The previous garage used compressed air to identify that water was coming in through a small hole in the sealant on an inner panel at the top of the upper door rail, right in the corner at the back. Just above the rubber bung where the top door roller stops when the door is open.

The rubber gutter strip that I fitted inside the door recess stops at the back of the door recess, so is possibly delivering more water to that end of the recess, so may be making the problem worse. I'm going to remove that and see if fitting a strip that runs _above_ the recess is better and stops water getting into the recess.

mrmoosehead

Exciting update!
I've found the exact location of the hole.
It's not above the top door rail. Is just under the front bend of the middle door rail.
There's a seam there, where the outer skin bends in and joins the recess when the rail bends in. The water goes down there.
So, i should be able to take the door off, remove the door rail and seal the hole.

Or, i take it back to the dealership that couldn't resolve it, so couldn't claim the warranty work money, and offer them the opportunity to solve it and claim the warranty

Sandbagsid

I would be inclined to take it back to the dealership as realignment of the door can be a right pain in the ar*s to get it back how it should be. I helped a mate do one a few years ago and it never was quite the same.
At least you will be able to show them what the problem is and how the water is getting in. Well done on finding the leak.