Rain test

mrmoosehead

Looks like the roof fan and windows survived yesterday's rain test :)
However, I did have two spots of drips that I noticed on the floor ply. Looking at where they are, the only place they can have come from is around the sliding door seal at the top - has anyone else had this problem with a Boxer/Relay/Ducato?

It wasn't a lot - just a few drips. But it worried me, seeing it. Maybe the door

jmatosp

I have some water around the sliding door, but in my case is just opening and closing the sliding door. I used the front door after raining and it was dry.

mrmoosehead

Hmm. Will check again after all this rain. I did wonder if it wasn't fully closed, but it wouldn't lock if that was the case.

I'll be adding a gutter above it at some point, anyways.

egg-fried-rice

Yes, the same happened to me. I had disturbed the rubber door seal (sliding door) when I fitted a panel. I had removed part of it but hadn’t put it back properly. The hollow seal compresses when the door is closed, thus forming a watertight seal. I pressed it back in place and it’s never leaked again even when the van was on a hill in a gale with lashing rain. Check it’s sitting tight in the correct groove there’s a couple of grooves in the seal. I think mine was in the wrong groove on one of the corners or wasn’t pressed in properly.

jmatosp

Diesel engines last quite long if well taken care of. I had a Fiat Marea 1.9JTD, gave it to my mother some 10 years ago with about 200.000 km, I drove it last year and to my surprise it has now 550k :hushedface:
The engine sounds and drive like 10 years ago, but everything else is falling apart.

I did question what kind of business was she up to, but she was very dismissive :)

egg-fried-rice

Diesel engines last quite long if well taken care of. I had a Fiat Marea 1.9JTD, gave it to my mother some 10 years ago with about 200.000 km, I drove it last year and to my surprise it has now 550k :hushedface:
The engine sounds and drive like 10 years ago, but everything else is falling apart.

I did question what kind of business was she up to, but she was very dismissive :)

Other thread? “1st time builders Andy and Sarah”

mrmoosehead

So just been driving in this foul weather. Lots of water leaking through side door. Pretty sure it's not the window, as i did a continuous DOUBLE line of sealant/adhesive around it. I'm sure it's the door seal.
Anyone else had this issue with a sevel van?

jmatosp

Yes, i just noticed the same on mine. Mine is that I laid buble wrap all the way up overlapping the rubber seal, so the rubber seal isn't sealing properly. had to cut a bit of the wrap so the rubber seal compresses against the metal

mrmoosehead

Well, I in the rain on saturday, I checked the bonded window. There is a tony tiny hole - so tiny, that it is a drip, that suddenly lets go as the airlock releases. So I sealed around the top and sides of the window (very neatly, if I may say so).
Also in that rain, I had ingress around the seal - not so much as the rain wasn't being forced in by driving, but some. So, I also got hold of a T50 torx bit and adjusted the top front of the door so that it is a tighter fit with the seal. So will see next time I drive it.

egg-fried-rice

Van had side door seal last week. And they kept it in for a whole.morning to do it and test it with hosepipes etc.
Rain today is coming in through top seal still. :(

Thats more than a bit. The problem with water is that it may come in at one point but then run along a seam. I noticed on mine that there are adjusters on the door runners. Is your door perfectly flush with the top side of the van when closed?

mrmoosehead

Thats more than a bit. The problem with water is that it may come in at one point but then run along a seam. I noticed on mine that there are adjusters on the door runners. Is your door perfectly flush with the top side of the van when closed?
No, it's toed in as far as it can go. Already adjusted that bit.

Note that sitting on my drive, the van is tilted back, and to the right, so it makes it more likely water will run into the door cavity.
I think I need to add a drip strip around the door anyways.

mrmoosehead

The saga continues. Van was in this morning for another check. They thoroughly soaked it from the top declared that there was a little water coming in from a small hole in the rear pillar of the side door?
They denied that any was coming in from the seal. I showed them photos.
"I've never seen a problem on these vans, ever"
"Water must be coming in from somewhere - where you've drilled holes for the awning, maybe?" - no - it's secured using the T bolts and glue.
"Have you messed with the door at all?" - no- only fitted a window (2 lines of glues all round, plus sealant in the gaps top and sides)
Not happy with them at all. Basically implying that it was something I had done.
I have a drip strip to add, but reluctant to do that until the main problem is solved. But there don't seem to be any other things to adjust - but then why does it still leak a bit in persistent rain when on the drive - is it just the angle that it is canted at?

mrmoosehead

Finally found some information to suggest that it isn't just me!

egg-fried-rice

Frustrating. //deleted- just replied about the talcum powder method then read the other forum post so deleted my reply//.

Sounds like you may have a solution sooner or later. Hope it works out.

mrmoosehead

Update.
Peugeot customer care utterly useless. No response in 4 weeks.
However, Peugeot garage have found a problem - an unsealed spot weld hole in the top door runner that was letting in water into the subframe and then releasing it in interesting places. Needed an endoscope to find where the water was going. They've sealed that and things seem to be better.
Seal seems good now as well.