power decision ????

timinhastings

ok im still in planning stages for 7.5t motorhome to live in all year round , made my mind up on 4 x 135amp battery's running a converter for evenings and night but need to charge my battery's up and have instant on power so thinking on going via this route would this be enough to run an all 240v tv/f...freezer / micro/everything thats house hold ...
Böhmer-AG Camo Petrol Inverter Generator
About this product

Product Identifiers
BrandBöhmer
MPNBOHW4500I
EAN5060569760734
GTIN5060569760734
ModelW4500i
eBay Product ID (ePID)13034146967
Product Key Features
Max Output (Watts)Less than 2,000
TypePortable
Power SourcePetrol
Rated Output (Watts)Less than 2,000
Custom BundleNo
Dimensions
Weight24kg

tacr2man

You need to add up the power requirements for the two or more largest things (power consumptionwise) that are going to be on at same time , eg kettle , and fridge , or microwave and fridge . Allow for start current requirement for motors eg fridge compressor . Also allow for battery charger if that is also going to be on at same time . HTSH

VanNV

Hi @timinhastings - as @tacr2man says, you really need to do a power audit before designing your system.

I had never heard of Bohmer and a quick search reveals lots of re-sellers but no company website - the name says German, the price says otherwise. They look like a very useful piece of kit but for daily use you won't go wrong with something like a Honda - I have had one for years, it has even survived a flood.

With a decent battery bank you may also want to consider solar, but for 24/7/365 you would need a lot of panels to live off-grid in winter in the UK! (might also be worth considering a combination of solar and being able to plug in once a week or so? I ummed and ahed about expensive heaters but decided for a cheap option because when I use my van in winter I tend to be on hook-up so can use a £20 convection heater from Screwfix... used that over Christmas and was toasty warm despite frost on the outside)

BigStevie

Honda, the five letter word that spells reliability and durability. I’ve a twenty year old 2.75kva generator that’s never missed a beat and a twenty five year old mower that just won’t die......

tacr2man

I think Bohmer as mentioned is just a marketing Brand , there are same unit under various names , spares backup I would think non existent .

timinhastings

thanks chaps.....wind power around here would suit better as living at the seaside thats something aplenty...battery bank will be charging all time generator is on but wondering if icould get away with using 240 house accessory's as building 7.5t camper

tacr2man

Solar would go a long way to supplying power economically , but you would need to have a big capacity to harvest enough in the short period of sun in winter eg 1200w , with a means of tilting the panels . In the summer you would have more than enough even without tilt . I had RV with 880w non tilt and it was surprising even with 4 x225 ah batteries how quick they were replenished. I only needed to run gennie for washer drier or aircon if not on ehu . I had domestic size fridge freezer 230v run thru inverter , same with TV , and microwave . HTSH .

VanNV

thanks chaps.....wind power around here would suit better as living at the seaside thats something aplenty...battery bank will be charging all time generator is on but wondering if icould get away with using 240 house accessory's as building 7.5t camper
No problem with using 240V stuff via an inverter - you just need to design your system to cope. Obviously you can run things directly from a shoreline/hook-up, but when you're away from a 240V supply, you will have to use an inverter which has its own power implication. Not onerous; maybe add around 10-15% to your expected consumption.

timinhastings

well still thinking for main power a large jenny ....ok ok its a starter power just to get in as i want out of this flat and once were in bit by bit monthly its going to save paying £550 plus bills on top