Over wheel arch water tanks.

NicB

Any suggestions please.
I'm looking for two (L&R) wheel arch water tanks each 50+litres for my Ducato* (medium wheelbase).
I found the CAK tanks and the 200l window washer tanks on ebay, but they are not suitable.
Anyone got any ideas?
* Boxer/Relay.

NicB

Yes thanks,
I travel extensivly yearly sometimes sub zero so underslung even with the little heaters is not an option.
6-7 years ago I was snowed in, in (East) Germany ( coming back to visit family in the West) leading to Christmas for a week snow up to my windows -15 daytime temperature for a week. Frightened me to death.

D

Deleted member 2

No doubt Barret would be more than willing to construct some bespoke wheel box tanks for you, he has such an amazing reputation.
As your needs are so specific then I very much doubt you will be able to find any off the shelf tanks which are handed.

Phil

VanNV

The Fiamma 70l tanks can be mounted on their sides - I did contemplate mounting mine over the wheel-arch on a frame

Rob

NicB

No doubt Barret would be more than willing to construct some bespoke wheel box tanks for you, he has such an amazing reputation.
As your needs are so specific then I very much doubt you will be able to find any off the shelf tanks which are handed.

Phil
Thanks Phil,
I've just tracked Barret tanks down.
Looks like just what I'm looking for.

I'll give them a call and send some sketchs.

I'm guessing they are expensive for bespoke?

Nick

misterg

Barret tanks prices are not too bad, considering they are made to order, but he is mad busy at the moment!

CAK tanks do a specific tank shaped to fit over Dutaco, etc. wheel arches.

Another place for cheap(ish) tanks is Blackmore Leisure (look under 'Water and Waste' / 'Fresh Water Containers' if the link doesn't work).

I am currently in the process of fitting a 65L tank (from Tanks Direct) over the wheel arch of our Relay. It's 480mm x 600mm x 240mm and just fits under our bed base (940mm to the underside off the van floor).

DSC07540.JPG

The garage is not insulated, but the tank will be insulated with 25mm of PIR board (Celotex, etc.) back and sides, with wool underneath in the space around the wheelarch (the bed base is already insulated). I've made a small compromise in that the top of the tank will be against the horizontal steel member, but I hope there won't be an awful lot of heat loss through it - it will be above the water level most of the time.

DSC07539.JPG

DSC07542.JPG
The space in front of the tank will also be insulated and used to house the pump and some other bits. The diesel heater ducting will run through that space and the water pipes will run alongside the ducting into the van - separately insulated, but hopefully they will pick up enough heat to keep them from freezing as long the heater can run.

D

Deleted member 2

@misterg that is some hum dinging workmanship and as for the installation of the Cellotex that is amongst the neatest I have ever set eyes on.
Phil

fifthwheel

There is a crowd in Hull making tanks with a good reputation I cant remember the name but google might find them. john

NicB

Barret tanks prices are not too bad, considering they are made to order, but he is mad busy at the moment!

CAK tanks do a specific tank shaped to fit over Dutaco, etc. wheel arches.

Another place for cheap(ish) tanks is Blackmore Leisure (look under 'Water and Waste' / 'Fresh Water Containers' if the link doesn't work).

I am currently in the process of fitting a 65L tank (from Tanks Direct) over the wheel arch of our Relay. It's 480mm x 600mm x 240mm and just fits under our bed base (940mm to the underside off the van floor).

View attachment 4727

The garage is not insulated, but the tank will be insulated with 25mm of PIR board (Celotex, etc.) back and sides, with wool underneath in the space around the wheelarch (the bed base is already insulated). I've made a small compromise in that the top of the tank will be against the horizontal steel member, but I hope there won't be an awful lot of heat loss through it - it will be above the water level most of the time.

View attachment 4730

View attachment 4728
The space in front of the tank will also be insulated and used to house the pump and some other bits. The diesel heater ducting will run through that space and the water pipes will run alongside the ducting into the van - separately insulated, but hopefully they will pick up enough heat to keep them from freezing as long the heater can run.