North Coast 500 - You couldnt pay me to go.

egg-fried-rice

Everyone will no doubt have their own opinions, which I respect (so long they are the same as mine). The question is, would I drive the NC500 in a campervan?

I watched a YouTube video by someone driving the NC500 and whilst not elaborating too much he did quickly point out a local giving him the middle finger, he was perhaps welcome but not in a Motorhome. On a recent trip on the main road into Fort William I also got the middle finger (although I didn’t mention it to my wife who didn’t spot it and I wasn’t doing the NC500).

Having said that I have to side with the locals that live on remote parts of the NC500 route, they have a valid point. Even though I have never attempted the NC500 if there’s too many doing it then my opinion is to avoid it like the plague (COVID-19). Its probably a great scenic course but best toured on a cycle, motorbike and maybe a car.

I feel a new taxation class for Motorhomes and Campervans is brewing, you can feel it in the wind. Whenever there’s a lot of something, someone somewhere wants money from it.

B703BB7A-4964-4BCE-9A7B-B2014256956E.jpeg

mrmoosehead

Everyone is trying to holiday in the UK. Numbers have rocketed. But they were increasing anyways.
For any given cross section of the population, there will always be a proportion of people who just plain ruin things for everyone. The stories of disgusting, selfish and stupid behaviour from people who think that they can park anywhere and leave their sh1t behind (figuratively, and literally) is pretty shocking.
And trying to drive a huge 6 berth coachbuilt camper over bealach is sheer stupidity. The roads in the highlands are narrow and not fit for those sort of vehicles.

So I get why the locals are angry.
But then my experience of locals in Scotland is often not good, when they realise you are English.

I'd love to do it in my van. But not whilst everyone else is going there.

tacr2man

Cornwall negative reactions , Wales similar , even Yorkshire dales adverse stories , which the media seem to be promoting . In the UK you only have rights over what you own/rent not who travels on public right of way , so if you are obeying all the relevant rules its their problem not yours . Having a little flag (Kernow, welsh etc) on display works wonders ! :)

mrmoosehead

Cornwall negative reactions , Wales similar , even Yorkshire dales adverse stories , which the media seem to be promoting . In the UK you only have rights over what you own/rent not who travels on public right of way , so if you are obeying all the relevant rules its their problem not yours . Having a little flag (Kernow, welsh etc) on display works wonders ! :)

Sadly, if I were to display an England flag, the wrong assumptions would be made about the type of person I am. And I'd be a bigger target, because everyone hates the English :D
Might fly a Yorkshire flag. :)

However, whilst people might be obeying the rules of the road and within their rights, they might well still be being 4rseholes. And having seen the mess left by people (in general, not just mhomes) I can understand why there is a lot of anger about the perceived problem.
It's not because people are in motorhomes. It's because (some) people in any cross section are just 4rseholes.