willybob.rob

Help!!!!

I've just had hold of a ex-works van with the intention of converting and not sure what I have inherited! Looks like a Dometic travel power 5kw 230v generator powered by its own alternator when the engine of the van is running then goes to consumer unit, lights, sockets, water heater and a 110v transformer with sockets.

I have no idea about auto electrics and only just started researching what i'd need in way of van conversion but I just wandered if an of this could be adapted for my conversion or am I better off ripping it out and starting again?

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers, Will

Sandbagsid

Hi and welcome, depends on what you are intending to do ie that’s a big old output 5kw was probably used for running heavy duty tools. Wil ya need that sort of power output and how heavy is this Jenny. I have never seen one running of an alternator they usually have a petrol engine. Still good luck with the conversion.

tacr2man

This unit appears to be a converted alternator (so two on engine) going to an inverter that changes the 110v output of the 2nd alt to 230V . You could use a ats to connect the 230v to one feed and the EHU to the other feed this would give you 230v to go to a consumer unit fitted to supply your van . You effectively have a back up genset carried at all times even if powered by a rather large engine. They are about £3500 new !!

Last edited: