Newbie van converter

bluebenz1

Hi All, I'm looking to start a van conversion...2 berth rear fixed or electric lift bed, was thinking about a new Iveco Daily...but cant see any van conversions on a new model, Is there a reason for this?
Other option was a Sprinter...possibly a mini bus conversion....any thoughts cheers

david.c.hall

I think that with the Daily it is the weight. They are fine if you have a licence for more than 3500Kg, but otherwise their payload is restrictive.
The sprinters are fine, especially if buying new as they have only recently galvanised them.
The most common vans are the Sevel range (we have a Ducato XLWB) mainly because they are that bit wider, and galvanised

tacr2man

To a degree its how you intend to use the vehicle , tarmac cruising then fwd sevel etc perfectly adequate . More adventurous then rwd and iveco have plus points .

david.c.hall

Never had any problems with FWD . I have travelled 1000's of Km's on unsealed roads in Australia with the only problem being ground clearance on heavily rutted dirt roads.
And that was in a 4000Kg Ducato 7.6 m long Coach built
You just have to be careful and very few go mud plugging in a Motorcaravan that has taken a lot of Blood Sweat and Tears to build.
Just my view after 35 years with a Motorcaravan.
David

tacr2man

Agree ground clearance is a real plus in Australia , lived in WA for 15 years myself .ozcvnlwr IMG.jpg
One plus point with iveco is ground clearance and rugged chassis build . JMHO

david.c.hall

Yes the Daily is great if you have an over 3500Kg licence but the payload is a bit low on 3500Kg.
Our 2 children and 3 grandchildren live around Perth.
We spent 5 years (3 months each year) wandering around OZ in our Jayco.
Your Land Rover is a rare sight in OZ! Mainly Toyotas and Nissans
DavidOZ Feb 2012 080.JPG

the thinker

Hi All, I'm looking to start a van conversion...2 berth rear fixed or electric lift bed, was thinking about a new Iveco Daily...but cant see any van conversions on a new model, Is there a reason for this?
Other option was a Sprinter...possibly a mini bus conversion....any thoughts cheers
having owned 4 sprinters in the past as LCV's (now drive Ivecos) best vans I have ever owned, I always buy new and keep them a couple of years when still in warranty. Sprinters are paper thin. so very light, but cost of ownership can be high. Iveco in my opinion is a good choice but watch the payload. I don't use any 3.5 tonne as a camper anymore. was caught being overweight and it cost me a tidy sum as it was still registered as LCV, not a camper.

the thinker

I personally wouldn't choose a van because it has a galvanised chassis, very few commercials do. I would buy a base vehicle based on its reliability If I am shelling out any money at all on a conversion. vans like 'Fix it again tomorrows' I would avoid. I own and have driven commercials for the better part of 26 years. (still do) as do most people I know and all but one has a Peugeot, citroen, Fiat. its true that citroens and Peugeots have a more boxy (straight/wider) load area. but again get a high top 'anything' but watch the axel weights. allow as much as possible for your conversion. Its very easy to go 'overweight'.