Newbie Introduction

BigStevie

Hi and welcome to the forum. My brother has just ordered a new fiat based panel van conversion that’s well north of £60k! My rough and ready sprinter is nearing completion, hope it won’t come in at much over £6!
Good luck, happy planning!

Stevie

devonian

Hi and welcome to the forum. My brother has just ordered a new fiat based panel van conversion that’s well north of £60k! My rough and ready sprinter is nearing completion, hope it won’t come in at much over £6!
Good luck, happy planning!

Stevie
£6 that is cheap, sounds like a mattress and a couple of plastic garden chairs thrown in sort of job. £6k is my hope as well but I can see the furnishings and bells and whistles pushing everything nearer to £7k or maybe even £8k.

grandaddylow

I'm after something that is cheap enough and rough and ready enough that we are not frightened to use it. I'd like to do it for under 6k.

Sandbagsid

Welcome from me to, sounds like ya done enough pondering time to jump in and get moving no time like the present there’s loads of helpful people on here and YouTube so

grandaddylow

My biggest worry is buying something that will not ground when I try and get it down my drive. I need to borrow/rent something to see if it will clear!

BigStevie

I found my van for £2500, spent money on 2x100w solar panels, a pair of half decent batteries, a compressor fridge, a fiamma water tank, a shurflo pump and a big sink. Body wise, three heavily discounted seitz windows, one piece of bonded glass, two fiamma turbo roof vents and a pair of cheap polycarbonate portholes. The interior is mostly made from materials I had about the place. My other half is making up the cushions, the bed is a standard king size mattress. Cheap Chinese reversing camera and bits robbed from an old caravan.
It’s a bit heavy due to my belt and braces approach, but built to not worry about knocking it around, it’s to use!
I don’t have a hot water system, a submersible pump in a Gerry can of hotish water, I do have a bathroom, with a shower tray and a cheap chemical bog. I picked up a secondhand 12volt handiwash, so can always wash hands!
Cheap can be done, use your imagination and go for it! I’ll try and get some photos posted, the van isn’t finished yet, but not far off.......

Stevie

grandaddylow

It's the break over angle that worries me getting off the street and the overhang on the tail to get off the slope. I've been doing lots of measuring, and I think it will clear with 1 degree to spare... I'm looking at XLWB transits or Iveco Minibusses (which have a massive overhang). I think I'll need to try and find one locally to test drive and see if it fits... I really want to get stated with all this lockdown time!