New project

Highlandbob

Hi all
Iam in Caithness in the chilly far north of Scotland
I have just decided to convert my 2007 LWB high roof Transit To a campervan
I bought the van a few years ago to do a couple of trips to Portugal and it never missed a beat but just stood around on SORN since then so a conversion will give the old girl a new lease of life.
Iam sure I will have many questions as Iam new to all this, the first one though is whether to leave the bulkhead in or remove it or form a bulkhead with a narrow door in the middle and whether to leave the seats as they are or fit swivel seats if the bulkhead comes out ?
Thanks for any advice its great to have this source of help when you are taking on a project like this
Bob

david.c.hall

Hi and welcome
For me having a walkthrough is a must. Just pull up and walk through to the back without getting out into rain.
Also the back will have warmed up with heat from the cab.
Never really used a swivel seat in anything bigger than a VW transporter,
David

BigAldo

I took the bulkhead out to provide lots of additional light into the living area during the day. I wasn't bothered about a walk through, so kept the three seats. I did put a heavy curtain across where the bulkhead was, for privacy and insulation at night.
I found that as I started my build, it felt very dark and claustrophobic with the bulkhead in place, but just my opinion.

david.c.hall

That's why we build our own! So that it is tailored to our use.
We use the van all year round and when it's raining/snowing/muddy outside (which is quite often in UK) the last thing I want to do is open the SLD and let it all in.
Also we usually freecamp and it is a lot more discreet when parking up at night to not have to open and close doors.
David

Sandbagsid

Hi nice to see another transit being converted. Mine is walk through as it saves jumping in and out in the rain and cold to use the sliding door I also have a swivel pasenger seat.

BigStevie

Hi Bob and welcome! I’m not a million from you, feel free to come around once we’re out of lockdown. I’m just finishing a xlwb sprinter on a tight budget.

Stevie

CamperJack

I took out the bulk head and replaced it with one I built myself. It's a wooden baton frame with ply on each side of the wall. Inside the wall is insulated with the same insulation as I used to insulate the walls in the living space. The difference in temperature between the back and the front is simply astounding. I have a door between the living space and the driving cab in that wall. When I open the door it's like being hit with a blast ice in the mornings lately. The amount of heat lost through those big windows must be huge.

If you plan on using the van in the winter I'd definitely rip out the bulk head and build a wall that can be insulated this way. I guess it doesn't matter as much in the warmer months, but then again, the insulation will also stop the back getting too hot. Yes, you can get insulating curtains. But they will never be as good as the re-cycled plastic insulation in a wall.

For me access between drivers cab and living space without going out the van is vital. Yes it's nice to not have t get wet. But more importantly, if you end up in a bit of a bad situation, you can get out of bed and into the driving seat without the danger of going outside and then you can drive away from it.

At first I didn't want to lose the space in front of the door. I wanted to build each seating along the wall. I still did this. The door opens above the seat and I have to climb over the seat to get through. But I can do it, reasonably easily. And that makes me feel 100X safer than not being able to!

Highlandbob

All good advice I think Iam leaning towards your idea of an insulated wall with access through to the cab

Highlandbob

Hi Bob and welcome! I’m not a million from you, feel free to come around once we’re out of lockdown. I’m just finishing a xlwb sprinter on a tight budget.

Stevie
Hi Stevie
That would be good to have a look and a chat once this situation is over Iam up near Castletown so not far from you at all
Bob

david.c.hall

If you plan on using the van in the winter I'd definitely rip out the bulk head and build a wall that can be insulated this way. I guess it doesn't matter as much in the warmer months, but then again, the insulation will also stop the back getting too hot. Yes, you can get insulating curtains. But they will never be as good as the re-cycled plastic insulation in a wall.
We went for a curtain across there as we don't use the cab as part of the living area (although handy for putting unwanted cushions etc at night)
Also our loo door, (which is left open at night due to need to use by us oldies) backs onto the curtain.
Although obviously not as good as an insulated door system, it is in fact very effective and when the curtain is drawn back in the cold weather the blast of cold is very noticeable.
The curtain is tied back when travelling, which has the advantage of allowing the heating/cooling to find it's way into the back. And when manoeuvring to park you have the option of looking out of the SLD window
David