My fantastic fan has stopped working :(

devonian

I knew something like this would happen, kinda wished I had just gone with standard no fan vent tbh as I just had a feeling this might happen, anyone know some of the common reasons these things stop working? I have checked the fuses on both my fuse box and the fan unit itself and they are fine, I would be surprised if the electrical supply has severed seeing as I have been using the fan for on and off fine for the past 6 months.

Anyone got any ideas? Its a fantastic vent fan model no. 2250

Attachments

devonian

So i have checked with a multimeter and the fuse at the fusebox is ok but the fuse on the actual fan unit is so awkward I don't think I can get my multimeter in there properly to test it or if I have its reading no power.

But i think the problem could lay with the metal button on the fan which is meant to depress once the lid is closed and pop up when the lid is open completing the circuit and allowing power to the fan motor. My button doesn't seem to depress when the lid closes or pop up when the lid opens in fact the lid doesn't seem to making contact with it at all. (However I can depress the button with my finger)

??? Anyone with a fantastic vent know if the button should stand taller than mine here pictured? Sorry about photo quality.

Attachments

devonian

Update I actually got the fan working last night after dropping and closing the lid quite forcefully a few times onto the metal button so it seems the issue is with the button but alas its not working again now so not sure what to now, I don't really want this problem re-occurring whilst on the road. But after some online research it seems this button problem is a fairly common one with fantastic vents so its something to look out for if you have one of these fans.

devonian

Is it possible to bypass the switch and just fit an on/ off switch instead.
Yes I have seen an online how to video of this, you don't need to add another switch there is already a on off switch. The metal sensor button obviously prevents the fan from being on whilst the lid is closed but I can't see that being a major problem.

Dazco

How about putting a small drop of light oil on the switch part , I presume it passes through the plastic housing, then just keep pressing big at a time, trying to work the oil into the moving part, it might just be sticking .