Mercedes 814

the thinker

Good morning all - what a great forum for swapping info and ideas!

We as a family of 4 have just taken the plunge and bought an old Meceds 814 horsebox for conversion into a camper. It all looks straightforward until you start getting into the detail so I have a few questions and if anyone has the knowledge that would be a great help. We are looking at composite GRP insulated panels on the sides and roof but they are expensive, although will cut out and chance of condensation rot and give a decent structure in which to build.. but are there any alternatives? Also do I need a cut-through to the cab for the change of use to motorhome from horsebox - this might prove difficult as it is a tilt cab version. If VOSA (or whoever they are now) will not accept a conversion without a cut-through, what will they register it as and will this make any difference?

Many thanks for any advice

Fred
HI I have an 814d Vario but it is a panel van conversion NOT a horsebox. there is no reqiorement to put a cut through the bulkhead for reclassification. but some concerns the box (horsebox bit) are usually constructed quite strongly (and Heavy) . mine has a 3.8 tonne payload, your horsebox has probably lost most of that, before you even start your conversion. remember that everything that is built as part of the van conversion becomes part of the MIRO weight whats left is you MTPCW (maximum permissiable weight).
the other important thing is classification. if you have it as a camper it MUST be registered as such ot you could very easily find yourself uninsured. look at the DVLA criteria for converted vehicles and make sure that you tick all those boxes first. As a horsebox or other, you would be using the vehicle outside of its intended use.

Fredzefisher

Many thanks Thinker for your view. We have stripped the box down and removed a large amount of mahogany cladding from the outside, to replace it with composite panels. I am not too concerned at this stage about the weight issue but will be ticking the boxes all the way threough the build to make sure we do not fall foul of the regulations.I would ultimately like a cut through to the cab but cannot see how this could be done efficiently with a tilting cab. Road noise would always be an issue as well as height as the main bed will be above the cab which leaves a maximum height of about 1300mm...

the thinker

try minsters they might have a suggestion for cutting through or a solution. I know quite a few people with horseboxes (for horses) so if I gleam anything from them, I will let you know. have a look at CVR-UK.com. they might be of use as a resource aswell. they can tailor make stuff for you.