Mains hook-up

ITSMEPHT

I am about to convert a Vito people carrier to a camper. I dont want to cut a hole in it for the mains hook up, and it would be neat to bring a hook-up cable in through the rear quarter lights to an inboard socket. But the quarter light only opens a very small way, not enough for the big plugs on the cable. I can solve this by inserting a slimmer three pin connector into the cable, and have found this one.
This is 240v and 20 amps. Would this be OK ?
Thanks !

BigStevie

Hi and welcome to the forum. Hmmm... I think you’d need a more robust connector. How about going through the floor, there may well be a body grommet somewhere near the side of your van?

Stevie

ITSMEPHT

Thanks. I would need to feed the cable with a plug through, so through the floor not an option. I agree the connector does look a bit frail (like me) . Think I'll have to get one and see..

Sandbagsid

I don’t quite understand why you dont want to drill a hole and use a proper weatherproof socket like most vans have, or am I missing something?

ITSMEPHT

I had that done once before on an old VW Caravelle, and it became a rust pocket very quickly. I have just had my Vito completely refurbished and rust proofed, so def dont want to cut a 75mm square hole in it for a naff white plastic external socket. Much simpler to have the socket inboard and pass the cable end through to plug in. But elecrically, is the connector I have found OK for the job? Thanks.

Sandbagsid

Whoever done your last socket was obviously a total bodger I have done three over the years and provided the hole is treated with something like red oxide then sprayed before bedding the socket on a good quality sealer there will be no problems with it. As to the plug I’m not sure on that one so won’t comment someone on here should be able to advise you.

WildVan

I am about to convert a Vito people carrier to a camper. I dont want to cut a hole in it for the mains hook up, and it would be neat to bring a hook-up cable in through the rear quarter lights to an inboard socket. But the quarter light only opens a very small way, not enough for the big plugs on the cable. I can solve this by inserting a slimmer three pin connector into the cable, and have found this one.
This is 240v and 20 amps. Would this be OK ?
Thanks !
that will be fine. Rated 240v 20amps designed for 3 core cable 2.5mm2 cable.

exactly what you need.
Do ensure you use a 16amp Double Pole fuse or less. Van fuses should be double pole to ensure if the supply is incorrectly wired both sides of the feed are cut of.

Ensure proper Earth bond to van body.

if in doubt get an electrician to do it.

tacr2man

I take it that its going to a suitable distribution unit inside the van , and its a weatherproof uphill travel thru the quarter light ?