Log Burner

Nemie

I need to position my log burner and have a concern, looking at the photo am I to close to the glass window?.

I don't need help about the floor or back, I know what to do, just the glass am I ok regards that.

Attachments

mr brown

i've fitted a few , i doubt the glass will get more than a bit warm . dinky little thing innit

Nemie

I have cut the hole in the roof committed now, I am going to tape the flue with titanium exhaust wrap tape, not all of it though, leave some gaps.

Yes is dinky, it Produces 6000 to 14000 BTU's and Designed to heat spaces from 100 to 200 square feet, must admit sounds bit hyped but thats what they claim.

Thanks for the reply, bit of peace of mind.

Nemie

From what I understand the dektite is designed for twin-wall, I am using single wall pipe, the titanium exhaust wrap tape will protect the silicone flashing, and if I tape lets say ratio of 60/40 in favour of covering the flue it should reduce creosote build up due to better heat management of the flue, of course I will lose some heat from the flue hence leaving 40% not taped.

mr brown

i generally use single wall flue . for example ,my daughter gets her flue glowing red hot on coal.but even then , it's only the first 3 feet of pipe that's glowing , and it's never harmed the silicone flashing . the burner is very close to cupboards but i use a metal plate with a 15mm air gap and no other insulation. no probs . i also make the cowl as the regular ones are a bit silly for a van

mr brown

this cowl is made from a bit of metal sheet bent and bolted , can be folde back for cleaning flue . been hit by many branches and works well - costs nothing and is very discreet this burner i put on a box for kindling storage and to save one lengh of flue . i welded a chain to the back to fix it to an anchor point . where the flue goes through the roof i allow 50mm all round , ie a 200mm hole for a 100mm flue. the flashing holds it P1010035.JPG central
P1010100.JPG

Nemie

Interested to know why the gap of 200 for 100 flue, I have few mil around mine should I drill some air holes around it?

I do also like to diy things, here is a photo of my workshop cowl, its made from a mini beer keg about five years old now.

Attachments

mr brown

having seen charred wood and paintwork around flues in vans , i allow 50mm all round for peace of mind and because why not if there's room ?
the air gap is vital as i found out years ago when i surrounded the grill in a burger van with ally sheet on fire resistant board on chipboard. the chipboard caught fire in the wall. no big deal but could have been nasty