Late chunnel and an Aire, or stop in Kent and get early chunnel?

egg-fried-rice

I opted to stop near Folkestone the night before. Arrived at the port nice and early and they offered me the next available crossing so that I had only a 20 to 30 minute wait (if that- I almost drove straight on). They did this both ways (U.K. and also France). If you are staying in France check out “Free Mobile” I got 150gig of pay-as-you-go data for less that 20 quid, it worked superb (it may roam in other EU countries as well).

Mickandsej

We did a (kids/car/motels) road trip about 11 years ago. Because of the kids I opted to break the 3hr drive to Dover and stopped in Ashford, but now it’s just us two and the pooch and RV life in the slow lane I’d do it again, just means you’re a bit fresher when you get to the other side and can get on with enjoying the drive.
Have a look at this website https://www.pitchup.com/motorhomes/England/South_East/Kent/Folkestone/ and there’s plenty of choice. I used Pitchup to plan our Highlands trip in August, very cheap and flexible and I think the campsite reviews seem pretty genuine.
In fact I was able to adjust our northward trip after booking because after failing to get the day before off work, I’d have had 5 hours sleep before a 425 mile drive so rebooked night one 300 miles away.

Attachments

• D272CFCE-396E-4EC2-89FB-8E20F7D122C5.png
    D272CFCE-396E-4EC2-89FB-8E20F7D122C5.png
    515.3 KB · Views: 3

egg-fried-rice

I'm on Lebara, so I get unfettered roaming still.
Where did you stay near Folkestone? Site or wild?
We used the app “search-for-sites” (£4.95 a year / great in Europe) and stayed in a lovely pub car park (free with a drink or meal) before our journey to France, but I cannot find this link so I wonder if it’s still there.

We also stayed at Page Farm in Postling, Kent (CT21 4EZ) , run by an elderly couple, very quiet and peaceful, we had the place to ourselves.

We avoid caravan sites, we just dont like them. We prefer wild camping but if that isn’t an option then it’s either the pub carpark (been to some superb country pubs google before you go, you can sort out the good from the very good - we are not drinkers but we like good food) or a farm (also good).

Breakfast in the U.K. lunch in France.

F4C14FD6-E77D-47B9-BFD4-C16B5D34F310.jpeg

Mickandsej

We’ve booked a pub in Carlisle (area) which seems to be a springboard for the highlands so I agree with the idea, sadly in our convoy one of the group has medical needs so wild not an option on that trip, but it’s ok for us most of the time (once I get the plumbing installed!)

egg-fried-rice

That’s the one. It has a very good feature which we found valuable on one occasion in France. It links to Google maps with the precise co-ordinates that members put in. What it means is that Google will take you to the precise location with pin point accuracy in most cases which a postcode won’t always give you.

1D80EA6C-EAFF-43B4-9ED6-5DAAD11CDF19.jpeg
We’ve booked a pub in Carlisle (area) which seems to be a springboard for the highlands so I agree with the idea, sadly in our convoy one of the group has medical needs so wild not an option on that trip, but it’s ok for us most of the time (once I get the plumbing installed!)
“The Old Stables Inn”. It’s also a popular stopping off site just north of Carlisle.