Internal vs external tank

Coire

Nice to see this forum back up.

I'm trying to decide whether to fit underslung tanks to my trafic. I'd like to free up the water storage cupboard to fit a fridge.

I'm interested in the pros and cons. I do winter camp in Scotland but the temperature rarely has dipped under -3 on my travels. Will this freeze an external tank?

My next question is how would I fill an underslung tank? In 5 years of vanning I've stayed at a campsite with facilities only once. I prefer to go off grid and my water supply tends to be either from taps too far from the roadside to use a hose, or I use water coming off the hills. In France I used bottled water.

I'd rather not cut a filler hole in the van side as the van is fairly inconspicuous currently. Unless I can hide the filler somehow.

Curious to know what other people have used.

Liberty hall

Coire
We have underslung tanks fresh and waste made by Barrett tanks, most on here have used them and I believe Shaun will make a one of to. We camp for 12 months and have been down to - temps, with no problems. I’ll see if I can find some images for you.
we attach the hose on to the hozelok and once full it’s it comes out of the top overflow pipe

Attachments

Last edited:

Groyne

We've got an internal fresh water tank and an external waste. The internal is under the rear fixed bed over the rear wheel arch. Got them both off Shaun, but you have to nag him to make them.

david.c.hall

Our underslung tanks have been OK down to -6 at night 0 midday.
However that was while we were on the move a lot, which helps a lot keeping the water on the move.
We have 90 lit under and 25 lit inside.
We use the inside one mainly for 'Drinking water', but it can be diverted to the main system using a valve arrangement.
We have a filler in the side for the big tank (Not sure why you are unhappy with having one?)
The inner tank fills via its drain pipe.
Both can be filled without a hose using a funnel. (the inner one has a large bung in the top)
David

Groyne

Inside freshwater tank, the water pump is next to the wheel arch.

WP_20171016_002.jpg

Outside filler/drain.
WP_20171016_001.jpg

Underslung wastewater tank, not the greatest picture.
WP_20171016_004.jpg

WP_20171016_003.jpg

Coire

Thanks all. This has allowed me to do some thinking.

I had a good look underneath and went round with a measuring tape. There's actually not as much room underneath as I thought as this van has a DPF fitted and there's a lot of heat shielding and associated brackets. Also given how hot the DPF can become during a regen cycle it may be best to keep fresh water as far away from this as possible.

The only other (small) area is behind the fuel tank, which is a difficult space for me to envisage where to put the filler without cutting into the van side. I'd like to avoid doing this (a few reasons).

I'm now thinking I will sling a small 10l waste tank with overflow under the kitchen floor. I'll then mount a 30-40l fresh container inside near the back doors, under the rear cupboards where I have just managed to gain some space. This should give me easy access for filling, emptying and cleaning and should last me 7-8 days without a refill.. i can live with that.

The waste tank i will attach a drain tap under the sill similar to some of the photos above.

If I was running a bigger van Im sure I'd sling the tanks under given the extra free underfloor area.

Pudsey Bear

When I had mine done I asked Shaun what temp they would stand and he reckoned his 6mm thick plastic would stand -6c