Insurance and Selling

Littleoldman

Hi all, my campervan is up for sale, and today I had someone to view it. Due to Covid he took two weeks to come to see it. On one of my telephone conversations with this man I had told him that the campervan had been reclassified as a van with windows and not a campervan. Today he viewed and liked the van but dropped a bombshell by telling me that Adrian Flux had told him that the van would only be covered for the value of the van and not as a finished van! I told him I would check this out and get back to him. When I insured my van this year (Adrian Flux) I sent them loads of photos and covered the van for the cost of everything I put in it. At that time it had not had it's new classification from the DVLA but I was led to believe by AF that if damage happened to the van I would get back the cost of repair and replacing any items broken or damaged within the van. I was sure he had been given incorrect information by someone he spoke to from AF, but I'm hoping that I can get more information from you guys.

I am insured by AF and I was able to insure the vehicle at an “agreed value” it was an additional cost to my premium but worth it as it is well in excess of the value of a standard commercial vehicle. Your buyer is probably misinformed so please go back and check again. Adrian Flux also determined whether the vehicle is a campervan or as DVLA says, a van with windows. They are aware of DVLA‘s strange logic so AF are using underwriters that treat your vehicle as a campervan, thus pretty much ignoring DVLA, and rightly so in my opinion.

Littleoldman

egg-fried-rice, your experience echo's mine. Mine was an agreed value after I sent them a bunch of photos and a complete breakdown of costs. Perhaps if the new purchaser doesn't get the cost breakdown from the seller it would be difficult to argue for an agreed value.

egg-fried-rice, your experience echo's mine. Mine was an agreed value after I sent them a bunch of photos and a complete breakdown of costs. Perhaps if the new purchaser doesn't get the cost breakdown from the seller it would be difficult to argue for an agreed value.
True. It may be worth you both talking to AF in each other’s presence and effectively see if you can get them to offer a similar deal to the new owner based on your existing insurance, especially as you have all the breakdown costs.

Last edited: