Insulating a lined roof on a minibus

andydextrous

I've got a nicely lined Renault Master ambulance minibus as the basis for my conversion. The headlining is board covered in carpet. Removing the light fittings shows there is no insulation behind the board. Should I be concerned about this? If so what can I sucessfully poke through the 2 1/2" holes to improve the insulation- loft insulation?

It also concerns me that the sides might not be insulated either. I can't see anyway to remove the panels without damaging them; I presume they are glued on. Anybody converted a minibus, who might be able to guide me.

Cheers, Andy

Edina

Hi Andy,
I've just done a Renault Master ambulance conversion. Where are you based? I live in Silverton, Devon twixt Tiverton and Exeter, come over and have a look if it's of any help to you.
Cheers
Chris

Last edited:

andydextrous

Hi Chris, I'm Weymouth, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few photos please. Mines a MWB. Did you do anything regarding insulation?
Cheers, Andy

Edina

We had 'orrible twin flu tubes recessed into the ceiling. When I took them out there was a good layer of rock wool type insulation. Ours is lwb and we've blanked and insulated the rear 2 side windows and the shower window (the side one behind the drivers seat). Ours was fully lined in moulded plastic, which I've tried to leave intact. There are a few pics here https://postimg.org/gallery/219k3k3ls/

andydextrous

Thanks Chris, that's a great set of photos. I can see I'll be coming back to you with further questions, such as "how have you finished your plywood"? Is it hand painted? I'm considering Formica, but wonder if it might be too much bother.

Edina

Yes just ply painted and all timber, trim etc cut from Wickes studding 38mm x 63mm. I tried to make as much as I could myself to keep the costs down and went for simple and practical rather than pretty. Took us 3 months.

listerdiesel

Deceased RIP
We used exterior cladding panels in the Mercedes, 300mm or 400mm wide and available in a big range of colours/finishes. Cellular construction so good insulating properties, easily cut/sawn.

varioroof60.jpg

VarioRoof72.jpg

VarioElectrics3.jpg

andydextrous

I have managed to insulate the cavities, through holes about 3" square. After cutting a hole in the side of the van for the hook up socket, I could see the sides weren't insulated. I was able to tear up loft insulation made from recyled poly, into strips about 18" long and 6" wide. I could then feed these though the hole, poke upwards and let them expand and then insert the next.

I have been able to cut hidden holes in the rest of the interior lining to achieve the same thing, behind the other panels.

The roof cavity wasn't so easy, as the insulation tended to snag on the wood - the sides are double sided melamine with a foil lamination, so they slid in easily. Through the light fitting apertures, I have been able to push snowball sized pieces of insulation into the gap and push them into corners with a piece of plastic strip (trunking). Not perfect, but it has to be better than nothing.