Insomnia

mrmoosehead

It's normal to lie awake and continuously go over van plans and problems in your head, right?

Van is in the country. Delivery in a couple of weeks.

Reality hits. So many decisions to make; so many problems to solve; so many potential mistakes. So many amazing van conversions to aspire to. I'm looking at you, eggy.

:perservingface:

jjturner

I had the same problem, just going round and round. Ended up keeping a notebook, noting everything, designs, doodles, etc. That helped.

drawing designs really helped iron out problems. Or ask on here if it helps

Last edited:

jmatosp

I feel your pain XD

Mine arrives 2nd Dec.

Have you ordered any parts?

I'm keen on ordering stuff but have to wait to take proper measurements.

If you're like me, diy close to zero, then practice, I'm doing a simple cabinet

mrmoosehead

Oh I have a fair amount of DIY skills - plumbing, some electrics, some woodwork - but mostly large scale stone work :D (e.g. reclaimed stone sett drive and stuff)
Not buying anything until I can start to validate the things fizzing round my head by applying masking tape to the van.

Main worries are making sure I don't shoot myself in the foot by doing something early on that makes something later on harder.
Working out the build order makes my head hurt.

It's frightening how relatively expensive some of the mobile home equivalents of normal house appliances and things are :/ cf. hobs, fridges, water heater (vs boiler) etc. I guess it's a limited market

Some of you seem to be suffering waiting for your new vans to arrive. But perhaps not suffering as much as your postman who will have to carry a continuous stream of parcels to your doorstep every day for the foreseeable future, make sure you get him a card this Christmas.

I went online and gathered all the pictures I could of campervans and put them in a file viewing them constantly and picking out all the parts I wanted to include in my build. I also made a list of “what I must have” and “what I don’t need” (it’s on the front page of my website). However, the most helpful advice I found was Greg Virgo’s videos on YouTube. I overdosed on them and started wearing anoraks and hanging out with train spotters, fortunately I was able to get treatment on the NHS.

You may also want to start by moving all the furniture out of your living room and onto your driveway. In other words you are going to have campervan parts spread all over the house and under your bed. I am still trying to get rid of all the cardboard packaging, I have piles of it.

I bought from a few trade sellers on EBay and the best advice I can give you is filter out those that use 1st class shipping. Waiting for 2nd class post will drive you insane especially if you need to finish a job before moving to the next.

Buy next doors pigeon loft if it’s cheap. You will need plenty of scrap wood, unless you are a Japanese master you will need to make templates, everything in my van was made at least twice.

Get a radio. I rigged up a good radio in the van (your vans radio is limited to 20 mins). You are going to spend a lot of time inside. Don’t forget to have your postoffice reroute your mail to the van. Visit your wife every weekend if you are married and if you don’t complete the build in a year decide which half you are going to give her when you divorce.

Costs, get the essentials first, don’t do as a friend of mine did and buy an awning early, I am convinced he hasn’t fully grasped what it’s going to cost. It’s fine if you have a cheap base vehicle but it’s not so good if you have an expensive base van and end up cutting corners to save money. I tripled my original planned budget, I was like a singer on Xfactor, totally delusional.

jmatosp

Very entertaining reading :closedeyesmile:, I see good tips in there

I have a long budget, I hope wont get off my more then 20-40%

DIY is a issue for me, not planning
At this moment doing high level first steps planning, and tasks to complete:

Example

1 Get a van
Buy van
Make insurance

2 Ventilation & Windows
Measure panels and decide windows & rooflight
Order parts
Assemble parts

3 Water takes & Gas
Measure space for underslung tanks
Order tanks
Install tanks

4 Floor insulation

5 Electrical cabling

Don't need all the plan just the first few steps, then I will add notes and details when time approaches for to each step.

Anyone in the North? Consider using Barrett Tanks (underslung) in Castleford, West Yorkshire (off the A1-M62-M1). He makes his own, quality is a bit higher than most, so I am told. I travelled 70 miles to have mine fitted as he only charges £40 to fit and he can do it in 40 minutes. Not worth doing yourself. The catch is that there’s a waitlist. I had to wait 3 months, eventually fitted in January. However, my friend had his done recently and the waitlist is down to around 5 weeks.

Barrett Tanks Click Here

Roadrunner

Take time and make drawings, measure everything 3 times to be sure, take a break so the mind wont get fogged, put all wiring runs in first, but in tubes and add a few extra coloured wires for good measure, best thing i found was go look at other vans and see the pitfalls and daft things other thought were good, i have seen some really bad ones mark my words, more like something a school kid would do, good luck with the build and health to wear.

Rixster

I would buy a box of pencils as I can never ever find the last one I put down.

On the subject of Barrett tanks, I sent two motorised ball valves to Shaun for him to fit to my tanks. This is to enable me to dump both tanks at the flick of a switch. Sadly, I cant say (yet) how they perform : the tanks are still empty as I had had to remove them to run gas pipe under the van. It's all about planning !

devonian

I echo the taking photo thing. Take a photo of every part of the inside of the van (don't have to be very close up) before starting any work trust me it will help you further along down the road. Myself I would take a photo of any work I did during the day and study it later on in the evening in the house. I guess it was a sense of pride and satisfaction of admiring the work I had done but it also really helped me to think of what I was going to do with the next step.

Also keep two things on you at all times: a pencil behind your ear and a tape measure in your pocket and you'll be acting like a proper builder in no time!

That’s a very good point (above by Devonian). I also photographed everything which is especially useful when you fit the wall panels because you can look at photographs to see where wires are located and where you can drill holes. These images proved invaluable at times.

Masking Tape, for marking out. I can’t believe just how many rolls I went through.