How do I get wifi in my van

G-A-R-Y

How do I get wifi. I have a smart tv which is 12v.
Only for the uk at the moment.
Where and what sim to get too.

jjturner

Here's what I did...
I found a WiFi hotspot with external ariel connections (Huawei E5577) and an external ariel (LGM 'great white') plus a couple of cables and a 3 mobile PAYG sim.
I decided to not go for the external ariel with WiFi, gps and phone as it would just mean more wiring and I'd never use it.

But depending on where you go, hotspot on your phone might work. but being inside the van does impact signal.

david.c.hall

I did similar on my last van and fitted the aerial right at the back and bought the leads in through the rear camera/3rdbrakelight housing.
For SIM I use |Smarty and currently get 60Gb for £10 a month
In the new van I have been using a Vodafone 5/4/3g jobby that I got after a recommendation but it was a special offer of £50 which was a huge discount but you had to buy a sim with it that was £42 a month!
Cancelled sim immediatly and as it was unlocked just popped the Smarty in.
David

G-A-R-Y

Can you get 12v hotspot routers. Can you place an external ariel out of roof hatch, will that work. What network does "Smarty" use.
Thanks in advance.

David S

Can you get 12v hotspot routers. Can you place an external ariel out of roof hatch, will that work. What network does "Smarty" use.
Thanks in advance.
Yes, many are USB powered so you can take them out of the van and use them when you are out-and-about so you only need 1 SIM. Huawei have a 4G hotspot that supports up to 10 devices (E5577) for under £70 unlocked or for around £40 locked to a provider. Claimed battery life is around 6 hours but when in the van it would be easy to leave it plugged into a USB socket. Smarty is owned by Three and uses their network.

You could run the cable to an external aerial with a magnetic base (these can cost as little as £13-15). The cable could run through any gap to the outside such as a window or hatch. I’ve run one out of a window as an emergency solution and put up with the wind noise.

G-A-R-Y

I did similar on my last van and fitted the aerial right at the back and bought the leads in through the rear camera/3rdbrakelight housing.
For SIM I use |Smarty and currently get 60Gb for £10 a month
In the new van I have been using a Vodafone 5/4/3g jobby that I got after a recommendation but it was a special offer of £50 which was a huge discount but you had to buy a sim with it that was £42 a month!
Cancelled sim immediatly and as it was unlocked just popped the Smarty in.
David
How did you get 60gb for that price?

G-A-R-Y

Am I missing something, I can buy a Huawei unit for less than £70 but when I search Motorhome wifi site it seems to cost £300 plus for a bundle. What don't I understand.

egg-fried-rice

Do you need a router? Do you need an antenna? If so, is it really worth the investment? I don’t think it is, if you have a good phone.

I only use my phone contract (Vodafone 150/gig a month for £30).
I no longer use a router I don’t use my antenna. I stream better from my phone (iphone12) it gets a signal when the router struggles. Set up “Personal Hotspot” on your phone. I stream Netflix/TV/Music (4K) seamlessly and you can connect multiple devices to it.

TV is a 24 inch Sharp TV with 12/240 volt.