Hi from Patagonia!

Paul van Zyl

Hi! My name is Paul and I live in Puerto Montt in Chile. I have built a motor home for two in a 2011 Peugeot Boxer L2H2. The build too some 2 years and is not ideal as many things you take for granted in the UK are special imports here. The cost of transporting two Seits windows were more than the cost of the windows. I also am not a cabinet maker, so some of he panels are not square. However, we are having a lot of fun with it and plan to do some long distance travelling through Argentina and Chile starting next year when the wife retires.
Main concerns are dust (lots of dirt roads) and wind. Caravans have been blown over on the Argentine Pampas, hence not an H3.

roadliner

Welcome Paul. Nice video looks a very sturdy build. Have you had the van weighed as I am worried my build may be close to limit when finished with payload allowance . Regards Dave.

BigStevie

Hi Paul, thanks for the video. Some interesting design features and certainly a very solid build! Good to see you enjoying the van!

Stevie

Paul van Zyl

The weight all up with water and fuel is 2 630kg. That leaves me about 700kg for food and clothing. It should do.

If I were to do it over I would use thinner plywood. The floor is 19mm and with slightly more support 15 or even 12mm would have been enough. At least that weight is low down. It also acts as an anchor for the furniture above it in case of an accident. Maybe I'm just rationalizing...

I've never attempted anything like it, and probably would never again do so. I have little woodworking skills and my "workshop" area is terrible for our cold and wet climate. Getting any motor home related material is a huge schlepp. I had to go to Santiago (1000km from here) to have windows and the heater fitted. I'm so jealous of all the goodies you guys have - but we have volcanoes and glaciers!

Thanks for the good wishes.

Attachments

Last edited:

BigStevie

I think you’ve got the better deal Paul...... sounds like a remarkable place. Do they still speak Welsh there?

Paul van Zyl

Hi Stevie, no. I don't think Welsh was a big thing around where we live. Way down south there were welsh sheep farmers on Tierra del Feugo, but I don't know if the language has survived. In Argentina near Trevellin there are still Welsh communities. I have not been there, distances are long here. If you put Chile across Europe it will stretch from Madrid to Moscow. (Or from Florida to the Hudson Bay).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patagonian_Welsh
Cheers,
Paul

BigStevie

I mentioned the welsh thing because I remember many years ago reading about the welsh mining communities in Patagonia.
Great place to explore!