Help me please.

Jaymmt4623

Hi guys,

I am Jamie.

I hope this message finds everyone safe and well during these difficult times.

I am after some intitial advice on purchasing a vehicle to covert. Complete newbie to van life.

I am looking for a van to convert to use on weekends regularly for camping and taking bikes etc. Then during holidays to be able to go further afield into Europe.

I know about Sprinters and VWs but wanted to know if there is any other makes/models that people reccomend. Also if MWD vs LWB makes a massive difference?

My budget is up to £10,000 for the van and would need to sleep myself and my partner as a minimum.

Thank you in advance.

Jamie

david.c.hall

As you will see I have a Fiat Ducato L4H2.
All the Sevel vans (Fiat, Peugeot and Citroen) are wider inside than the MB, VW, and Ford options. and have a squarer box in which to build.
They are also galvanised unlike Ford and all but the latest MB vans.
If you look on any dealers forecourt you will see that they make up the majority of converted vans.
Mine is the longest Ducato ( 6.3 meters) with quite a long wheelbase, but is quite manoeuvrable and parkable.
The L3 at 6 meters has the same wheelbase and so is much the same to drive without the extra 0.3 meters on the body.
They also do an L2 if you don't have room for L3/L4.
Just my preference
David

BigStevie

Hi Jamie and welcome to the forum.

As David has pointed out above, the most popular vans by far are the Seval vans, for the reasons mentioned.
This said, there are others out there. I have a xlwb sprinter, for no other reason than I wanted an xlwb van with plenty of headroom and I’ve known the van from new. Had the same pal had a lwb Seval van, that’s what I’d be converting now. But, I’m sort of pleased I ended up with the sprinter as it’s very long (being a xlwb) and enables me to have a fully fitted king size bed! A huge waste of space, but there are only two of us and we’re getting on a bit... The second reason is that I live up a rough track and the sprinter has good clearance and the rwd gets it up the track well.
If I was starting again, I think I would have looked for a lwb iveco daily. You asked whether a lwb makes a massive difference? Simple answer, yes. You can never have enough space, the more space the more options!

The single most important part of your build is the plan! Have a look at what others have done, work out your needs and wants and get planning. Be sure to involve your other half!

It’s a great experience and the designs and styles are infinite, from top end to rough and ready. Again, plan and work out what the van has to have. There are ways to keep a lid on your budget, using an old or damaged caravan can be hugely useful.

Good luck, ask any questions, lots of experience on this forum. Stay safe.

Stevie

david.c.hall

Stevie. I was really commenting on the wheelbase side of things not the vehicle length.
Sevel vans with designation LWB and XlWB have the same wheelbase but the latter has a bigger overhang to the rear.
David