Hello from Newbie - London W5

GuyB

I retired in Dec. Planned to travel around Europe for 6 months by train, then.... I am now shielding for health reasons. Got me thinking "now what do I do" for (possibly) the next 2+ years? I wonder if it's possible to convert a van I thought.... blown away by the popularity of it and the ingenuity of the DIY. I'll probably be a bit of a lurker for a while until its safe for me to venture out, buy a van and get going (with lots questions no doubt!). In the meantime, dreaming up design ideas and researching. Stay safe, and happy travels. Guy

Sandbagsid

Hi and welcome guy good luck with finding a van you will enjoy the freedom it gives you.

david.c.hall

Welcome to the club. Guy.
Once you can venture out go to some Motorcaravan dealers and look at the vans they have to offer. This will help you choose the size and layout that you are comfortable with.
Particularly, shut the door and think it's raining outside and will do for some hours. Where can I sit comfortably and read/watch TV and still have access to the loo and to make a cup of tea.
Many of us wild camp or use Aires (particularly in France) and you then need to be more self contained than if you are going to only use campsites, with toilet a good amount of fresh water storage and some grey water storage.
So much to think about! We are on our 7th van, 3 of which I converted, including the one we have now and even if I built another one it would not be much different to this one as we have, at last we have got it completely as we like!
Stay well
David

roadliner

Hi Guy. Welcome from me. At least currently you have time to plan plan and plan. Plenty for you to read on these forums regarding base vehicle and layout. If you have any questions ask away someone will have seen it or done it. Regards Dave.

BigStevie

Hi Guy and welcome to the forum. Good advice above. Plan, plan and plan some more. Remember you can have what YOU want, you don’t have to copy. Most s3lf builders will tell you it s about the plan, the good thing is that you can chop and change. My other advice would be to set a budget.

Have fun and stay safe, Stevie

GuyB

Hi Guy and welcome to the forum. Good advice above. Plan, plan and plan some more. Remember you can have what YOU want, you don’t have to copy. Most s3lf builders will tell you it s about the plan, the good thing is that you can chop and change. My other advice would be to set a budget.

Have fun and stay safe, Stevie
Hi Stevie and all above, All good advice from you all thank you for that and your welcomes. My background is project management so planning and budgets are sort of a busman's holiday for me and part of the attraction of doing a build. This is v different from building mobile networks (!), so spending quite a bit of time researching build materials and methods - weight, cost, durability and modularity etc. My budget will not be huge - so my ideas are based will be as much bang for £ as poss. This club looks to be an excellent resource, and have learned quite a lot already.

I retired in Dec. Planned to travel around Europe for 6 months by train, then.... I am now shielding for health reasons. Got me thinking "now what do I do" for (possibly) the next 2+ years? I wonder if it's possible to convert a van I thought.... blown away by the popularity of it and the ingenuity of the DIY. I'll probably be a bit of a lurker for a while until its safe for me to venture out, buy a van and get going (with lots questions no doubt!). In the meantime, dreaming up design ideas and researching. Stay safe, and happy travels. Guy
Welcome Guy, I am semi retired and plan something similar to you. There is a wealth of knowledge out there. I found Greg Virgoe's Youtube channel to be very helpful. Dont be afraid to ask. If it helps I documented my build mainly for myself as the plan was to keep an online photo album for the family but then I thought of giving something back to the community. Theres a link below in my signature, it shows about 80% of the stages I have covered, all are categorized with images. I still have a few images I need to upload before its complete. Btw its purely non commercial, I dont endorse products nor will I ever receive a penny. There may be something of help there, if not take a look on Youtube and definitely have a look at Greg Virgo.

GuyB

Welcome Guy, I am semi retired and plan something similar to you. There is a wealth of knowledge out there. I found Greg Virgoe's Youtube channel to be very helpful. Dont be afraid to ask. If it helps I documented my build mainly for myself as the plan was to keep an online photo album for the family but then I thought of giving something back to the community. Theres a link below in my signature, it shows about 80% of the stages I have covered, all are categorized with images. I still have a few images I need to upload before its complete. Btw its purely non commercial, I dont endorse products nor will I ever receive a penny. There may be something of help there, if not take a look on Youtube and definitely have a look at Greg Virgo.
thanks - your listed objectives are a near match to my own!