Has your van been left standing? - if so check for this.

egg-fried-rice

This may concern quite a few people regarding lock-down.

My Peugeot Boxer (39K miles) recently had a recall come up. The brake pipes needed checking by the Main Peugeot Dealer. As it turned out they were fine. However, as per normal Main Dealer practice they ran a quick check around the vehicle. Whist the vehicle appears fine they did point out that the Brake Disk (Disks not shoes) would need changing soon.

Heres what they said
1 - All Brake Disks worn
2 - Probable cause - vehicle left standing for some time, (its quite common).
3 - MOT advisory (immediate action not required).

As a totally different Main Dealer once told me that my car's disks were badly worn when in fact they had plenty of life I therefore decided to get a second opinion from my local garage that I have trusted for years. Without telling them what the Main Dealer said I casually asked him to check the Disks and was a bit taken back by just how similar his diagnoses was to the main dealer.

Here's pretty much what he said
1 - All your Brake Disks are worn
2 - Its probably caused by your vehicle being left standing for some time, we see this a lot (as he pointed to the rust lower down the disk).
3 - Its a MOT advisory I would book it in for work by May.

Moral of this story is always carry an air-freshener in your van. Actually don’t leave your vehicle standing idle for a long time. I know its never a good idea and I would have said running the engine once in a while is a good thing but if you haven't got a great set of Disks on your van then look after them. Mine didn’t move for a few months. It would have been wise to take it a short run every so often.

Time for a pot of tea and a Chocolate Hobnob.

Last edited:

mrmoosehead

Wise words, thanks. I used to get that with the old Toyota, as I caught the train or cycled to work mostly. So it barely moved for some periods. (It was on 72k miles after 13 years, 28k of those miles in the first 3 years).
(And it had new engine at 30k miles, but that is another story. )

Dazco

Discs worn?? Due to not being used ?
Discs tend to be made from cast iron due to its ability to be grabbed by the pads .
Cast iron tends to rust .
A van not being used will not cause the discs to be worn .
There will be surface rust for sure , but unless it's been stood for years it will have negligible if any effect on the thickness of the disc.

Roadrunner

Above correct, best to take a we drive every week, dont start an engine and let it idle, first it may take an hour to replenish the battery with using the starter and it glasses the bores when rings not under a load, do leave the h/brake of and choc the wheels, and leave in gear, driving it round the block a few times will stop the clutch plate sticking.

roadliner

Above correct, best to take a we drive every week, dont start an engine and let it idle, first it may take an hour to replenish the battery with using the starter and it glasses the bores when rings not under a load, do leave the h/brake of and choc the wheels, and leave in gear, driving it round the block a few times will stop the clutch plate sticking.
Agree with all the above having been a HGV / Bus fitter most of my working life. Also wear on discs can only be done by measurement compared to new standard anything more than 1 mm they should be replaced.