gloucester Newbie

billy192

Hi My name is Billy, I am just about to buy a van to convert. I last did one back in 1990 pre internet LOL. it was a merc 508 a big old thing but great fun. i was into Moto X at the time. anyway over the next x months I would like to
  1. find out what van will be best for me 3-4 berth
  2. but the said van (6k budget)
  3. research which layout will suit me and my wife (all kids grown up)
  4. find out what is available for windows, lighting, heating, plumbing, and any interior finishes as it must have moved on so much now
  5. i am thinking sink, fridge, cooker shower, cassette toilet
  6. I am also looking forward to harvesting all the great knowledge on this forum and sharing my pics.
So Hi

VanNV

Hi @billy192 - the forum is quite quiet at the moment, but hopefully will pick up soon

anyway a big welcome from me, and looking forward to hearing how you do with your build!

Welcome. Please share the progress!

billy192

seems I can get a 13 plat lwb hi roof transit under 100K miles for 5-6k would this be a decent start?

david.c.hall

Be very careful to check for tin worm on transit
Don't forget that Renault and all the Sevel range (which have the widest squarest box to build in ) are galvanised
David

billy192

Thanks David,
My best mate delivers parcels for a living and he advised that renault and fiat are prone to gearbox issues, i would prefer to do bodywork than pulling engines apart.
or have I been misinformed?

happy to take advise off you guys
Niel

david.c.hall

I think your mate is a bit out of date with his advice. Certainly there were problems with some of the Sevel range boxes, but that was a long time ago now.
And it can be more than bodywork on transits. One guy on one of the forums took a couple of years to do his conversion on a transit and when he took it for MOT they just pointed him to the scrapyard as there was nothing left underneath to weld too!
He stripped it all out and did just that.
David

Last edited:

billy192

Are the 2013 Iveco Daily galvanised?

BigStevie

Hi Billy and welcome. I'm in the process of doing a two berth van conversion. The majority on here are in to Seval vans. I wanted a rear wheel drive van and was building on a budget. I found an XLWB high roof Sprinter for £2500 with a total build budget of up to £8000 (initially it was £6k, I was dreamimg).
With one thing and another, I'm not quite finished (I started last summer), but hope to get cracking again soon. Everything costs £500, sort of. I've spent money on a decent 12volt compressor fridge, 200w of solar and a simple bathroom. I've got a Fiamma water tank pumped to a large-ish kitchen sink.
The layout is a fitted kingsize bedroom in the back with a kitchen and bathroom in the middle and living space up front. I've kept the three seats in the cab as we want to take our young grandchild with us now and then.
My main criteria was cost. I'm not doing a top ender here, just a good usable van. Think hard about insulation and windows, think even harder about layout! From my perspective, the most important thing is you build what's right for you. I haven't built with an eye on future value, sod that. I'm building what we want! Anyway, when I'm past driving it, one of the kids will no doubt snaffle it away....

Good luck and get building!

Stevie