Generators

Danny5497

hi everyone and hope your well.

Anyhow, I have decided I want to make my business mobile and convert a box trailer into my dog grooming salon for shows etc and also daily use.

Fitting a bath and plumbing and carcass etc is easy, using pvc clad for itts interior to waterproof.

What I want to know is could I run a 6.5kw generator for it. Veen looking at a hyundai silent one at £1400. I will be using a water tank heater at 3kwh then once that's off I will use two driers at 2kw each. Other than that its just 240v lighting, fans, charger, music.

Is this doable? I know its mainly campervans here but there's a lot of nice info I've read up to now.

My thinking is generator in externally welded box with removable panels for use, wired to a breaker box and plugs etc.

BigStevie

Hi, interesting project!

I might be tempted to use gas for water heating, there are lots of instant gas water heaters around for as little as a hundred pounds. This would mean not having to use a large generator, if a generator at all...
.... if you have a number of deep cycle batteries (and maybe a couple of solar panels) you could get 240v power through an inverter. Charging your batteries overnight will ensure a full charge daily and while you’re on the move the tow vehicle can be charging the batteries too. If you’ve solar it all adds up.

Having said all this, it depends on how much power you’re actually going to be using, how long you run your electrical items for etc.

Modern LED lighting uses little energy and can easily be run off the twelve volt system. I guess your dryers are going to be the biggest draw.
If you can find someone to do your power calculations, you will get a better picture of what your options might be.

I’m sure others here will have information to add, good luck with your business.

Stevie

Danny5497

Thank you very much. Some good ideas to look at here. I actually thought about lpg generators too.

tacr2man

generators and the word silent are relative terms Gas would be a good water heater method , but to get 2x2 kw drying is only doable at reasonable cost with a gennie . so for ease of use you might as well heat water with gennie as well .

Danny5497

generators and the word silent are relative terms Gas would be a good water heater method , but to get 2x2 kw drying is only doable at reasonable cost with a gennie . so for ease of use you might as well heat water with gennie as well .
Thank you, it kinda confirmed what I already thought. Looking into a nice hyundai one for £1400 7kw. Was even thinking maybe instead of a water heater and pump to wash the dogs maybe a small shower rated 3kw might be better. Not sure