Fitting swivel bases, boxes, seats and seat belts

Andy

Although I don’t actually have my van yet, I know which van I’m getting - Fiat Ducato.

I know only what I have read here and elsewhere about different swivel bases etc.
So I have a few questions:
  1. What (apart from price) is the difference between CTA, FASP, MAPA and Sportscraft swivel bases? I see they have the handle to swivel in different places, side or front.
  2. Would it be advantageous to have an offset base on the drivers side?
  3. The difference in box base heights. Is it simply just a case of measuring the height of the original seat from the floor, assuming that’s a comfortable driving position, and working from that height? I am currently planning on putting the LB’s under the drivers seat and maybe the inverter and chargers under the passengers seat, if this is ok to do! This would most probably mean having the highest box.
  4. Do the box bases fit into the original seat fittings in the floor?
  5. How to sort out fitting the seatbelt to the new seat.
  6. Probably a whole host of other things I don’t even know about, but hopefully will get pointed out here!
I have seen CTA bases at £105 each which I thought was a good price.
I want to have a go at this myself, but two things spring to mind. I’m not skilled enough to alter/make my own boxes, so I would need an “off the shelf” box base. Secondly, I don’t want to do anything that would be dangerous to the strength of the base etc if in an accident.

Thanks

Andy

Wissel

Might be able to help with a few of these (although I haven't fitted mine yet).

Can't help with the differences between the manufacturers, except to say they all seemed good from the people who had them (when I asked). I went with Sportscraft as they are 25mm high (a lot of them were about 40mm).

I was told by the importer that an offset base can be a pain on the drivers side (hitting steering wheel). I went with a standard one on the drivers side and an offset on passengers.

I also bought a lowered seat base for drivers side, but didn't for passenger side (again Sportscraft).

You can put batteries, chargers etc under the seats if they fit. Might need set ventilation or breather pipes, depending on what you fit.

The lowered base fits the same way as the standard base, with the original bolts and holes.

I'm going to video fitting these over the next week or so if it helps. Should at least show the difference between offset and non-offset :)

Andy

Thanks wissel and Misterg.
Wissel, a video would be very helpful. Add it to this link so I don’t miss it please :openedeyewink:
Misterg I’ll take a look, thanks

Andy

Andy

When people have fitted these, especially on Ducato’s, what problems have they had clearing the handbrake?
The offset sounds like the ideal solution. But maybe not ........
I was told by the importer that an offset base can be a pain on the drivers side (hitting steering wheel). I went with a standard one on the drivers side and an offset on passengers.
Wissel, so is the importer suggesting that as the base moves towards the middle of the seats, it catches the steering wheel before it turns?

Thanks

Andy

Wissel

That's right @Andy

They said it could be turned, but more awkward than the non-offset. So I took their advice :)

I have them both turned 180 degrees in this video which might give some idea (it should start at the right place 11.07):

Andy

Thank you very much wissel. Can see the difference a lot easier.

You have some pretty interesting stuff there. You’re a lot more technical them me!

Thanks again and look forward to the video of the fitting.

Andy

Andy

Excuse my ignorance, but as I said I haven’t yet got my van. When you say standard do you mean - standard came with the van - or standard bought box?

Thanks

Andy

Wissel

Excuse my ignorance, but as I said I haven’t yet got my van. When you say standard do you mean - standard came with the van - or standard bought box?

Thanks

Andy
The standard drivers seat box that comes with the van. I bought another the same to convert the passenger side to single seat

Andy

So how do people fit the seat belt when changing from a twin seat to a single seat. I’m assuming you can use the original belts but are they easy to fit to the seat and more importantly how easy is it to secure it safely and properly to the van floor?

Thanks

Andy

Fran Loake

So how do people fit the seat belt when changing from a twin seat to a single seat. I’m assuming you can use the original belts but are they easy to fit to the seat and more importantly how easy is it to secure it safely and properly to the van floor?

Thanks

Andy
The seats are dead easy to change from a double to a single because they use the same floor fittings, and the seat belts just fit as they would with a double, i.e. you pull the belt from its pillar fitting (still where it was) and it clips into the fitting that is already on the single seat.

A problem can arrive if you wish to use the double seat again in the rear, because then you have to replace the pillar belt by some means. I did this and it is a little tricky (or was for me) but worked ok in the end.

Fran

Andy

Thanks Fran. Good to know it’s not too hard to do with the front seat. Using the double in the back is an option I am considering so I’ll have to look into this one nearer the time I guess.

Andy

Andy

Wissel, or anybody else with a Ducato. Would it be possible to get a measurement of the height of the standard seat box and post it here so I can compare it with my current van, for a comfortable driving height, so I know which seat base is best to get for me (and for SWMBO)

Thanks

Andy

Wissel

Wissel, or anybody else with a Ducato. Would it be possible to get a measurement of the height of the standard seat box and post it here so I can compare it with my current van, for a comfortable driving height, so I know which seat base is best to get for me (and for SWMBO)

Thanks

Andy
Just come in from the van @Andy as started to rain here. I've been ripping the old interior out.
Tip - If you think you'll ever refit your van, use Stixall sparingly :)

Hopefully back in it tomorrow (better do some work today) and will measure then if no one has answered your question.

Andy

Tip - If you think you'll ever refit your van, use Stixall sparingly :)
Lol When I did this van, I used enough of it but I did try to only use where I knew (or thought I knew) things would be staying put!
As a side note, I did forget about one inline fuse I’d “temporarily” placed behind some ply lining and eventually was behind the kitchen sink/cupboards. Guess which one blew!

Hopefully back in it tomorrow (better do some work today) and will measure then if no one has answered your question.
Thanks very much. It’s appreciated

Andy

Liberty hall

We made our own seat bases to incorporate all electrics ie C tek batteries fuse boxes etc. We also used the rare spares hand brake extender!! Which folds down when applied. Worth a Looksee

Ken

daveg

The seats are dead easy to change from a double to a single because they use the same floor fittings, and the seat belts just fit as they would with a double, i.e. you pull the belt from its pillar fitting (still where it was) and it clips into the fitting that is already on the single seat.

A problem can arrive if you wish to use the double seat again in the rear, because then you have to replace the pillar belt by some means. I did this and it is a little tricky (or was for me) but worked ok in the end.

Fran
Hi @Fran Loake
I'm looking to do what your describing and trying to find a few useful posts on the best way to go about it.
Have you (or anyone else) got any information / links you could share please?
I'm looking for examples of how to secure to the van base / best mountings etc.

At the moment I can find lots of info on swapping the passenger from double to single but little specifically on fitting the double into the rear row.
Thank you,
Dave