Fitting a skylight to a plastic roof

Pat & Ola

Does anybody have any experience of fitting a skylight to one of the translucent roofs you get in lutons and box trucks?

In my mind, it would be a recipe for water leaks, but a skylight would be very convenient. I'd be interested in any opinions, experience or advice on this.

BigAldo

Make a wooden frame for the inside, and screw down through the skylight frame and roof panel, into the wooden frame, using plenty of sealant. This will create a good strong 'sandwich' for the roof panel, and give the screws something to bite into.
I did this on a metal roof, and its amazing how much additional rigidity it created.

Pat & Ola

Thanks both for your replies. You've given me a bit of hope that I might be able to go down this route.

Dazco

Using a non setting mastic may help ( I've no prior experience of doing this btw)
If it doesnt set fully it may retain its seal better and as above a frame of some sort .

tacr2man

The translucent roofs are extremly fragile. I would look at reinforcing either by laminating or cross bracing with aluminium and wood framing

Pat & Ola

Thanks for your input. I will proceed with caution. I need to strip the existing inner roof panels out first in order to get to the translucent roof . I will make a decision once I can see what I am dealing with. If I'm not 100% I will leave it.

Pat & Ola

My thought process has cleared a little on this one. I don't want to give myself any unnecessary problems. What I will do is fit out the truck without a skylight to start with and then start living in it. If it turns out that a skylight is essential then we can fit one later - I will leave an easy access panel in the ceiling.

Thanks to everyone for their input on this. It has been useful to talk this out.

markmoto

Make a wooden frame for the inside, and screw down through the skylight frame and roof panel, into the wooden frame, using plenty of sealant. This will create a good strong 'sandwich' for the roof panel, and give the screws something to bite into.
I did this on a metal roof, and its amazing how much additional rigidity it created.
I would run two batons of the frame across the roof from one wall to another to keep roof from sagging over time.