Factory order Boxer.. which options ?

Gary Wrench

having looked at used vans , clocked up 350 miles, and been very disappointed I’ve no choice but to buy new and cut some of the conversion budget to cover the difference, some bits will have to wait a few months unless I can save up while I wait for new van to be made.

Pleasantly surprised to see single passenger seat is a no cost option so saving me money.. as is bulkhead delete so saving buying the trim around that.. Sliding side windows are £160 pair saving £200 ish

On the options list is ‘conversion interface box including 220A alternator’ , now I’m guessing that’s for motorhome converters but neither I nor the dealer know for sure, anyone know ?

Surprisingly a Webasto diesel heater is £650 so may forgo the Truma Combi for a while and use the Webasto with a 240v water heater until funds allow - I’ll leave space/pipework/cabling to fit it at later date.

Will get air con and parking sensors, may get reversing camera. Side step looks dear st £360?

Anything I’m missing ?

I recall finding a conversion on a new sand gold boxer L4 somewhere on t’internet, lovely job and detailed blog, anyone else seen that and know where it is ? I remember him mentioning factory options he chose and why.

Cheers

D

Deleted member 2

Lucky you to be able to afford a new van!

However back to your questions, if I were you, go for the single seats and don't forget you can order them with swivels.
Personally I wouldn't go for factory fit sliding windows as they won't be double glazed units.
As for the uprated alternator, personally I would give that a miss unless you are wanting to run a power station demanding set of electrical appliances.
When I was looking at buying a new Sevel van, personally I would have gone for a larger fuel tank, I would also have plumped for the uprated rear springs with the additional leaf.

Good luck and enjoy your planning.

Phil

Gary Wrench

Lucky you to be able to afford a new van!

However back to your questions, if I were you, go for the single seats and don't forget you can order them with swivels.
Personally I wouldn't go for factory fit sliding windows as they won't be double glazed units.
As for the uprated alternator, personally I would give that a miss unless you are wanting to run a power station demanding set of electrical appliances.
When I was looking at buying a new Sevel van, personally I would have gone for a larger fuel tank, I would also have plumped for the uprated rear springs with the additional leaf.

Good luck and enjoy your planning.

Phil
Thanks Phil, giving up rather a lot of things to get this bought including near new caravan...
rear springs I forgot about will add to list.

Gary

D

Deleted member

having looked at used vans , clocked up 350 miles, and been very disappointed I’ve no choice but to buy new and cut some of the conversion budget to cover the difference, some bits will have to wait a few months unless I can save up while I wait for new van to be made.

Pleasantly surprised to see single passenger seat is a no cost option so saving me money.. as is bulkhead delete so saving buying the trim around that.. Sliding side windows are £160 pair saving £200 ish

On the options list is ‘conversion interface box including 220A alternator’ , now I’m guessing that’s for motorhome converters but neither I nor the dealer know for sure, anyone know ?

Surprisingly a Webasto diesel heater is £650 so may forgo the Truma Combi for a while and use the Webasto with a 240v water heater until funds allow - I’ll leave space/pipework/cabling to fit it at later date.

Will get air con and parking sensors, may get reversing camera. Side step looks dear st £360?

Anything I’m missing ?

I recall finding a conversion on a new sand gold boxer L4 somewhere on t’internet, lovely job and detailed blog, anyone else seen that and know where it is ? I remember him mentioning factory options he chose and why.

Cheers
Unlike Buzzy, I personally thing that the bonded flush glass looks fantastic and have never had any problems with my minibus (sadly bought very used) conversion. There is on the odd occasion a slight bit of misting on the windows, but nothing that would ever make me forgo the looks of BG. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you order the seats with swivels you should get the option of lowered seat bases which some people like (being a bit vertically challenged I would not bother, but for taller people it probably would make sense. My bus has the double leaf springs, the Webasto heater and the uprated generator with body builders socket. My Webasto is an engine running version, so is not suitable to run as a night heater - I am sure it would be possible to convert, but have been unable to get any info/help from Webasto or Fiat. I am sure that your spec will include cruise control which is well worth having. I also think that the uprated alternator/electric pack could prove very useful to you. Factory options are only ever available at new purchase and I would recommend that you push the boat out at that stage - and also check out the price of alloy wheels. My bus had a very heavy duty electric step which I removed and replaced with a long slim fixed step which I prefer. Just for info I had purchased a Fiamma electric step and swapped it for the fixed step. My old Autosleeper was the golden colour with dark bonded glass and IMHO looked superb. I would say go for as many factory options as you can manage and add conversion goodies can be bought later. Enjoy whatever you decide. Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Liberty hall

I’ve had a wee look around and there is a discussion about this very thing on the dark side;) seems that the best thing to do is chat with the dealer about options!! and there’s talk of 33% discounts upwards.
Seems Fiat Peugeot citron have different options so could be worth seeing which has the best ones for your build and play one against the other.
Have fun with your search
Ken

iansum

I am close to ordering a new Boxer. I dont think they have sliding window option on panel vans. I think Fiat do. My option list is quite long, i think it makes sense as i am getting discount on the options too. I will order with Glazing to side door,front and rear mudflaps,passenger airbag,overhead storage shelf,leather steering wheel,city pack,engine undertray protection,front fog lights,led daytime running lights,reinforced battery,alloys, metallic paint, (i like the gold colour too) spare remote key and the removal of bulkhead and single seat.
I thought about Webasto as well but its more for the cab area and if you move control the guarantee wont cover any problems.
I am trying to also get m and s tyres too although this is not a factory option with the boxer.
Ian

Gary Wrench

Options list from dealer slightly different to the online configurator on Peugeot website and not very clear. I’m offered one Webasto option but two on website, and it’s possible it may be a coolant heater.... will investigate. Going through Peugeot dealer adds at least £5k to the base price but they will discount options.. through Pentagon it’s £17k plus vat with air con,met paint, parking sensors, plus option prices - will chase discount on those when I have final list.
Hard slog working through conversion parts now to work out what I’ll have to cut to afford the new base van rather than the used I was hoping to start with. Oh to have an unlimited budget- there goes my roof air con and sat dish.... will cable for possible later fitment.

iansum

Options list from dealer slightly different to the online configurator on Peugeot website and not very clear. I’m offered one Webasto option but two on website, and it’s possible it may be a coolant heater.... will investigate. Going through Peugeot dealer adds at least £5k to the base price but they will discount options.. through Pentagon it’s £17k plus vat with air con,met paint, parking sensors, plus option prices - will chase discount on those when I have final list.
Hard slog working through conversion parts now to work out what I’ll have to cut to afford the new base van rather than the used I was hoping to start with. Oh to have an unlimited budget- there goes my roof air con and sat dish.... will cable for possible later fitment.
It does depend on the dealer, they have different ways of working there prices out. Did your dealer say sliding windows were possible to order from factory? Mine just said fixed to side door and back door are the only possibities.

Gary Wrench

It does depend on the dealer, they have different ways of working there prices out. Did your dealer say sliding windows were possible to order from factory? Mine just said fixed to side door and back door are the only possibities.
My dealer only mentioned the fixed window in the sliding door , but the options list I have lists ‘VG02’ as sliding windows in second row... so hopefully that’s what we’re after. I’m having glazed heated rear windows too, may have to make up some small thermal blankets in colder months to sit behind blinds .. this budget cutting is killing me lol

Richard

I think that the second offside window will be for the Window Van. The Panel Van variant only has the glazing option for the nearside sliding door

Gary Wrench

I think that the second offside window will be for the Window Van. The Panel Van variant only has the glazing option for the nearside sliding door
I think you may be correct, there’s no legend available to show what the little dots mean for each variant I.e. standard/option /unavailable and at £160 it’s too cheap so must be an upgrade from fixed glass damn. Sliding door fixed glass it is then

misterg

We ended up buying a new Citroen Relay for the same reasons - 2nd hand, good condition vans were almost the discounted cost of new!

I think the Webasto is for heating the 'passenger' area in a minibus (going by the equivalent Fiat option). I would be wary of it - will it run without the vehicle running? Will the ECU throw a wobbly if you try and run it from the leisure batteries? Is the location 'right' for your layout? (I have a Planar 2D heater which is very, very similar to the Webasto Airtop 2000. It cost ~£400 and seems to be very well made. I haven't used it in anger yet - just bench run it - so I can't really give a recommendation, but it's definitely worth a look. PF Jones have 10% off sales from time to time.)

The conversion socket gives a 'manufacturer approved' connection point for a feed from the battery, ignition signal, etc. (There's some information about it dotted around the internet, but little 'official' as far as I've found.) The socket on its own was an £60 option on our Citroen. We specified it so that I could connect everything up without causing potential warranty issues by hacking into the wiring at random places.

We specified the swivelling seats on out Citroen and are very pleased with them. Side door glazing isn't an option with Citroen (!?).

We also specified a passenger air bag - my wife thought I was being very considerate, until I told her it was for when she was driving! ;)

If you contemplate ever fitting Remis (sp?) sliding blinds to the cab doors / windscreen then you mustn't have side/curtain air bags.

I slightly regret not specifying the leather steering wheel.

Do get quotes from more than one dealer - discounts of 40%+ on vehicle and options are reported quite frequently 'on the other side'. (We got 40% off with Citroen.)

Gary Wrench

Many thanks for that, conversion socket with big alternator definatley on list now :)

Remis blinds for long in the future , Ive just cut them to save money .. but will only out passenger airbag in anyway.

I have an Eberspacher D2 in my VW Transporter Kombi, been a right pain, had three controllers and now needs new fans and bearings and it’s 3 years old grrr

Last edited:

Richard

Thx MrG for sharing that. You mentioned the swivelling seats and that you were pleased with them. I looked at the Relay option list and see that this option (WM09) is listed at £864 inc Vat. I appreciate that there are discounts available on this price, but do you think it is a cost effective choice ? Could you estimate how much extra it would cost buying them 'done' rather than the DIY solution of buying in swivel plates etc...? Really, I'm thinking, what discount I would require to make it worthwhile. I suppose there are hidden costs, time for DIY, agrrevation etc

One more thing. Do your seats lower sufficiently to 'match' second forward facing seats in the dinette area?

Thx v much

Gary Wrench

Thx MrG for sharing that. You mentioned the swivelling seats and that you were pleased with them. I looked at the Relay option list and see that this option (WM09) is listed at £864 inc Vat. I appreciate that there are discounts available on this price, but do you think it is a cost effective choice ? Could you estimate how much extra it would cost buying them 'done' rather than the DIY solution of buying in swivel plates etc...? Really, I'm thinking, what discount I would require to make it worthwhile. I suppose there are hidden costs, time for DIY, agrrevation etc

One more thing. Do your seats lower sufficiently to 'match' second forward facing seats in the dinette area?

Thx v much
My business is 100 yards from Jennings Seats so I think ill be having swivels from them at about £240, I can’t see the swivel seat option on my price list though.... I realise that putting swivels in myself adds 30-40 mm height to the seats though.

iansum

No swivels on the Boxer options! It seems strange that some options are available for Peugeot, others for Citroen since they are all made in the same factory. There does seem more options available for Fiat but my quotes for the Fiats were alot more than the Peugeot.

Gary Wrench

Yes all very odd , the Fiat definatley more expensive . Boxer gets Tom Tom sat nav on stereo at certain spec but nothing for the relay I believe.

Richard

....and Fiat has the TSR (Traffic Signal Recognition) built into their Nav box. I was told by the dealer that Boxer had TSR, but I've not see any info confirming this.

Gary Wrench

Whatever TSR is... tbh I use TomTom on my phone as I pay for traffic etc, would be nice if it ran on the stereo though

Gary Wrench

Fancy a laugh ? Been through the online configurators for both Citroen and Peugeot and with options list price is £34,000... about £10k cheaper from my dealer . Just been and done the same on Fiats website .. I couldn’t stop laughing ! £44k with options !