Escaping the virus...

BigStevie

This is all starting to get silly.

Stay home and isolate. The only way to avoid infection is to stay indoors and out of contact with other people.

There’s a dash to the Highlands going on. We’re self supporting communities up here and there’s no infrastructure to speak of. Away from the towns local shops for the most part support the communities that live around them. They will not, during this pandemic, support hoards of escapees in camper vans. Already I’m hearing talk of locals intending to block roads and chase vans away (remember the scenes on tv from China and Italy?) I imagine that the government will be putting travel legislation in place soon.
I’ve heard tell of one or two angry incidents already between locals and campers. This isn’t about being inward looking and wanting to keep the place for ourselves, this is about (as mentioned earlier) there being no infrastructure to support an increased population, especially a population that in all probability will be becoming ill.

Stay safe and isolate!

Sandbagsid

This is all starting to get silly.

Stay home and isolate. The only way to avoid infection is to stay indoors and out of contact with other people.

There’s a dash to the Highlands going on. We’re self supporting communities up here and there’s no infrastructure to speak of. Away from the towns local shops for the most part support the communities that live around them. They will not, during this pandemic, support hoards of escapees in camper vans. Already I’m hearing talk of locals intending to block roads and chase vans away (remember the scenes on tv from China and Italy?) I imagine that the government will be putting travel legislation in place soon.
I’ve heard tell of one or two angry incidents already between locals and campers. This isn’t about being inward looking and wanting to keep the place for ourselves, this is about (as mentioned earlier) there being no infrastructure to support an increased population, especially a population that in all probability will be becoming ill.

Stay safe and isolate!
Totally agree with you it’s happening in Cornwall as well don’t know why people think it is time for a holiday when everywhere is struggling for food and health care.

Littleoldman

Happening in West Wales, not sure if it's all motorhome/caravan/campervan. There are many second homes around here. Pembrokeshire has only a couple of supermarkets and you city dwellers would call them corner shops. Provisions are going to be difficult to get. But I can see why it would appeal to some Stay safe you all..

BigStevie

Apparently a group of four motor homes were chased away yesterday from a nearby village. Some ugly scenes by all accounts.... At least the police have powers now to send them home.
Stay safe everyone and a thought for the full timers out there.

Stevie

Roadrunner

It will be over a year before there is any light at the end of the tunnel with this virus,it wont just stop in a few weeks as people think,or 3 mths.

BigStevie

t will be over a year before there is any light at the end of the tunnel with this virus,it wont just stop in a few weeks as people think,or 3 mths.
Absolutely, the chances of a second outbreak are very high (like Japan at the moment) and I suspect there will be many who will remain vulnerable for a long time.
There’ll be no jetting off to lanzagrotty for a week, or even a quick trip over to France. The world can’t afford a second outbreak, the world will never be as we knew it.
In the meantime, 8% of those succumbing to the virus are clinical staff, so as it progresses we have less medics to help. We must all do our bit, that is to stay indoors, this is the only way of avoiding catching the virus.
I’m both astounded and disgusted at the actions and attitudes of some people out there. I’m not sure whether it’s just plain old stupidity or if there is a belief that they won’t catch this disease. It will kill a lot of people, well all know someone who won’t make it.
So, stay inside, stay safe and learn how to be patient. I’m retired ambulance crew and now I’m about to be rostered as relief ambulance crew. If you have too many glasses of fizz and fall and bang your head, don’t be surprised if the ambulance takes hours to get to you and you don’t get the usual kind and patient service. Also, do you really want to go to hospital?
Help the nhs by staying put and behaving. By the way, looters should be shot.
Rant over, stay safe

Sandbagsid

Totally agree only way to stop the spread stay home, I been indoors for two and a half weeks now cos I am shit scared of this virus. I’m 72 in April and now my transit van conversion is finished I want to live long enough to get some use out of it so if it means I got to hide away for another six months then so be it. I do pop out on my drive and tinker with the van also sit in it and make a coffee read a book and pretend I’m somewhere in the country or at the seaside. It’s amazing how you can take yourself away from all the crap it ya try. With the sunny weather we are having at the moment I find that’s a big help as well. Take care all and stay away from the mob of it won’t happen to me lot cos sorry but it will no one is immune. Best wishes to you all and enjoy the summer if you can.

Littleoldman

Sandbagsid, I’m 70 in July (no jelly in my birthday party this year) and what’s keeping me going is working on my van. Had a tumour removed with a third of my lung 3 years ago and I’m sure I won’t enjoy getting this virus. I’m lucky that I don’t have to work on the van on the pavement, so I don’t see people. Good for them and me. Since Camp Quirky was cancelled and I don’t have a deadline to meet I seem to be getting a lot more done. Only worry is my daughter. She lives in our granny annex and she’s a nurse.