Electric vans & the future of conversion

dilby

Hi all - thought I might post a bit of an open discussion on something that's been on my mind recently. With all new diesel/petrol vehicles to be phased out by 2030, and the climate emergency in general, I'm wondering how people think this affects van conversion in the future. I've been enjoying converting my first van (only a few weeks in) but it does seem we're so far off being able to easily convert electric vans, and not just due to cost implications but having to effectively work with mains rather than 12v. I've always loved older vans and fancied restoring some older vehicles down the road, but how irresponsible might this be perhaps, at least in the eyes of the general public? I'm also pouring a lot of cash into my current conversion but do wonder how long will people want a diesel van? No right or wrong answers, but just curious to hear other folks' thoughts.

david.c.hall

It is said that second hand vehicle prices are increasing due to shortage of new ones. But is it possible that it is partly due to a resistance to buying electric/hybrid .
Little is said about the fact that only 6.5% of UK mechanics are licenced to work on them or the problems towing electric cars and the dangers when the Lithium batteries can self ignite if the casing is ruptured in an accident.
More specifically for us motorhomers is the weight implications. My understanding is that a commercial electric van up to 4250Kg can be driven on a car licence. However, it seems that the same is not true for a private vehicle. or at least that's my understanding. If this it correct then it leaves us with only the short range versions to sensibly convert to a weight of 3500KG
David

Roadrunner

Cannot see all over in 8 years, think of the roads to be dug up for cables as thick as an elephants trunk, and then the power points in homes, wont happen, just look at what they said about everyone having broadband, many still not got it,diesel and petrol units will be driving around when we are pushing up daiseys.

MickWorcester

It is possible perhaps likely that EVs will not be in the price range of many and the demand for ICE vehicles will continue but manufacturers will stop making them so it wil be hard to find them
Should I buy 3 old petrol cars in 2028 to see me through ??

Mickandsej

I would like to think that with an increase in EVs there will be an increase in write-offs to get the running gear on the market. Vintage Voltage shows it can be done, as with everything it’s early days, experimental and very expensive. But in time that “should” change for the better….
So I’m sticking with what I’ve got for now, pity mine won’t run on chip fat though.

MickWorcester

I watched vintage voltage and was shocked (!) at the prices!!!
Apparently some companies use scrapped Nissan Leaf batteries which may have reduced range but owners of vintage cars and too much money might be ok with that
Last year I sold my MX5 to a MSc student whose project is to design a ‘unit’ to electrify Sports cars

Mickandsej

Electric MX5…. That sounds like a lot of fun. I’ve had 2 1.6 MX5s and they were absolutely, hands down the most enjoyable cars I have ever owned. They’d have to downrate the electrics to stop serious speed issues!

mrmoosehead

I watched vintage voltage and was shocked (!) at the prices!!!
Apparently some companies use scrapped Nissan Leaf batteries which may have reduced range but owners of vintage cars and too much money might be ok with that
Last year I sold my MX5 to a MSc student whose project is to design a ‘unit’ to electrify Sports cars
That's mean. An old mx5 with all its problems, sold to an innocent student ;)

MickWorcester

What? They are the most reliable cars you can buy, pretty much the only thing wrong with them is the sills, cheaply fixed for less that £200
It was a really good example. 64,000 miles fish one previous owner
Sold it too cheap a year ago. I under priced it

mrmoosehead

What? They are the most reliable cars you can buy, pretty much the only thing wrong with them is the sills, cheaply fixed for less that £200
It was a really good example. 64,000 miles fish one previous owner
Sold it too cheap a year ago. I under priced it
Oh. Maybe. I've spoken to many an mx5 owner who complained about their tendency to fall apart from rust issues. I think maybe that was really early models

MickWorcester

You just squirt WD40 into the sills
I’ve had 5 aged from 1988 to 2005 and never had the sills go
I bought one with surface rust on wings and had it looking brand new in 3 days with sandpaper and some spray paint

Mickandsej

Off topic but I like it! I learned to drive in a ‘67 Midget and the MX5 is the genuine evolution of one. I think they are more fun with the smaller engines as you can wring the living daylights out of the engine and still be under the speed limit. I’d have one over any other two seater. Plus the 1.6 has a non interference cam so you need never worry about that side of it.
Anyhow back to those milk floats…

Roadrunner

What they dont tell you is that the scrapping of the seabed to get the stuff for the battery is wrecking the environment, and if you ran a petrol/diesel it would take well over 11 years to cause the same damage to the planet, remember that they told us all to buy diesel, yea right big brother.