DVLA Motor Caravan refusal?

NicB

When the DVLA don't issue a reclassification to Motor Caravan, do they give reason(s) why?

If they do give reasons it might be a good idea for refused applicants to copy them here to help others avoid the same.

S

squiffy

When the DVLA don't issue a reclassification to Motor Caravan, do they give reason(s) why?

If they do give reasons it might be a good idea for refused applicants to copy them here to help others avoid the same.
Nic, whilst I do understand people's frustration at having their efforts refused as a motor caravan, I do feel that deep down most folk know that they are trying it on, if you genuinely look at your "Motor caravan" and can honestly say " That is a real motor caravan" then I would suggest that they have either a genuine complaint against the DVLA decision or the pictures they sent and or the description they gave was misleading in the least. Many many folk have had a successful application on the first application, and when you see their photos it becomes evident why they had no problems in convincing the DVLA that it is indeed a " Motor caravan", if they do not have the skills to convert to a general spec or the money to do so then unfortunately they should not aspire to gain "Motor home" status and accept that it will always be a van with windows or indeed a "Van". We are fortunate that at this point in time to be able to change the use of a van into motor caravan registration without having to have it inspected by authorities to verify the safety and correctness of the conversion. But if folk continue to try and pull the wool over the eyes of the DVLA that situation will rapidly change, it may change as a natural course any way. I may be sounding smug having already got the "Motor caravan " log book, but seeing pictures and complaints on many internet sites of those that can't get that qualification I fully agree with the DVLA decision-making in almost 99% of cases that I have witnessed. Phil

Last edited by a moderator:

NicB

Of cause your right (that is SO obvious! sadly edging towards judgmental and even more sadly a tad condescending as to intentions and abilities).

But you haven't answered my question.

Do the DVLA give a reason?

The second part of my post was purely a suggestion.
Sadly
Nick

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2

I can't answer your question NicB as I received a clean pass in less than 10 days having sought the advice of so many of my friends on here.
Phil

S

squiffy

As far as I am aware they they give a resume of their reasons, from the threads I have read in various places. My comments were not directed at you Nic but are a general opinion of complaints about the DVLA. My opinion as to wether a thread about why conversions are not accepted by the DVLA, is it would only turn into a moan thread, and would not help in promoting self builders in their quest, far better that we give steady advice as we have been doing, rather than misgivings to new guys, directing them to the DVLA requirements would be more use :). Of course if others would like a thread such as that they only have to start one and it will continue for as long as interest in it continues. Phil

misterg

From what I've read elsewhere, you usually get a very brief reason - e.g. "Externally the vehicle remains as it was originally constructed." but this isn't a 'given'.

D

Deleted member

I have always said that the DVLA are very reasonable, and that it is foolhardy to try to pull the wool over their eyes (cheating) as such behaviour is only likely to lead to more stringent checking at some future date. Geoff.

IAN HANCOCK

I had mine refused because it still looked like a truck as originaly constructed although they accepted the internal conversion,they sent back my photos and a letter saying why they refused.
I have today had my photos returned with no letter just a compliment slip,here's hoping the V5 comes back campervan
Ian

NicB

Thanks for the information.
So it looks like they are taking into account the vehicle appearance in addition to what's been done inside.
((I read that, that was the policy a few years back but at the time the DVLA was challenged.))
Maybe they should update their guidance?

S

squiffy

This is what is current on the DVLA website,
Attention must be given to the first paragraph as much as the minimum requirements for the inside.

The body type information held on the vehicle record must describe what a vehicle actually looks like. This description, in addition to other distinguishing features, enables the police and other enforcement agencies to identify a particular vehicle. Therefore, the body type will not be changed unless the exterior of the vehicle actually appears to be a motor home.

Motor caravan minimum features
In order for a converted vehicle to qualify as a motor caravan it must have certain minimum features:

a door that provides access to the living accommodation
a bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet - this can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle
a water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle
a seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle - the table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table
a permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe
a permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity
at least one window on the side of the accomadation,

Its has always been part of the requirement for the vehicle to look like a motor caravan.:( Phil

mr brown

don't know if this helps . i've converted many different types of vehicles , buses, coaches,ambulances, fire tenders, panel vans , army lorries, etc , never put decals on, but they were all true motorhomes and obviously so. never read the DVLA guidelines either and never once had a problem with DVLA. as Squiffy says, we're bloody lucky in this country to be able to convert vans in this way, so don't take the piss, it can ruin it for everyone

D

Deleted member 2

Sadly for the rest of us, there are far too many numpties around who don't think the laws and restrictions are applicable to them!!

NicB

"so don't take the pi** "
"too many numpties around"

I hope those thoughts are not aimed in my direction?

Refering back (op) to my question and suggestion, which is to gather information and understand the guidelines from the perspective / experience of applicants.

Thankfully I misunderstood the outside appearance criteria at the planning stage (thanks Phil for picking up on that that.).

I hope a few more reclassification refusal reasons are aired here as well.

Nick

IAN HANCOCK

I don't think i tried to pull the wool over their eyes as mine is a bit different than most conversions but i took their advice striped the truck and fitted a couple of windows there is not much else i can do .I still refer mine as the truck and its cheaper road tax ,i get a proper HGV mot and i am happy to run at 56mph all day,i run within UK domestic rules (force of habit as driving trucks every day) .If for some reason this time its refused it will stay as it is,i had no problem on the ferry to IOM they took a look and said yep its a motorhome .Its just for insurance reasons its got to be reclassified
Ian

S

squiffy

We are not directing our comments at you Nick, those that have put up comments on this thread that would seem harsh are written I feel in frustration over the years of folk who come onto sites such as this and complain bitterly about the DVLA, and would seem not to have completely read the DVLA requirements, and even when pointed at the DVLA site seem to have a mental block and continue to argue the point in a thread instead of taking advice as how to remedy the situation. It is a very controversial topic and peoples idea of what constitutes a motorhome vary to a great extent, but at the end game there is only one decision maker and unfortunately it's the DVLA, who hold the cards :( Phil

NicB

I don't think i tried to pull the wool over their eyes as mine is a bit different than most conversions but i took their advice striped the truck and fitted a couple of windows there is not much else i can do .I still refer mine as the truck and its cheaper road tax ,i get a proper HGV mot and i am happy to run at 56mph all day,i run within UK domestic rules (force of habit as driving trucks every day) .If for some reason this time its refused it will stay as it is,i had no problem on the ferry to IOM they took a look and said yep its a motorhome .Its just for insurance reasons its got to be reclassified
Ian
Yes I don't want to decive the DVLA either.
Mine will be a "motor caravan" 100%..... I'm retired and travel extensivly.
I've mentioned elsewhere it won't be a gin palace but a functional vehicle to live in (usually for 3 month trips).
Although it's necessary and understandable for it to appear as a recreational vehicle on the outside for identification purposes that for me a criteria I'll meet reluctantly.

NicB

We are not directing our comments at you Nick, those that have put up comments on this thread that would seem harsh are written I feel in frustration over the years of folk who come onto sites such as this and complain bitterly about the DVLA, and would seem not to have completely read the DVLA requirements, and even when pointed at the DVLA site seem to have a mental block and continue to argue the point in a thread instead of taking advice as how to remedy the situation. It is a very controversial topic and peoples idea of what constitutes a motorhome vary to a great extent, but at the end game there is only one decision maker and unfortunately it's the DVLA, who hold the cards :( Phil
Absolutely agree 100%