DVLA Grand Prize: documents arrived did I hit the jackpot?

Well I submitted my documents and this morning the postman arrived.

As some of you know its easier to win the Noble Prize for Physics than it is to be awarded the supreme accolade of a DVLA re-classification. However, thats not to say its impossible or is it? The question is....

A) Did I succeed ?
B) Did I fail ?

I would be interested to hear your comments below, did I Pass or did I Fail?

*the easy answer would be to write Fail because everyone and his dog usually fails. So, instead base your decision only on what you see looking at the images. The whole point of this post is because I would be interested in hearing why you say I passed or why you say I failed rather than just a single word reply.

These are some of the images I submitted.

bourbon-003.jpg

bourbon-009c.jpg

Photo 23-10-2020, 16 02 37.jpg

bed-001.jpg

Photo 23-10-2020, 15 45 56.jpg

Photo 23-10-2020, 15 49 39.jpg

Photo 22-10-2020, 15 04 35.jpg

wardrobe-001.jpg

The helpful bit.....Did you know?: that you can still get camper-van insurance and have your camper-van recognized as a camper-van by insurance companies even if DVLA list your vehicle as a "van with windows or to use the correct term a Light Goods Vehicle", I managed to get mine discounted before I submitted anything to DVLA. Some insurance companies are forming their own opinions on whether you drive a recreational vehicle or a commercial vehicle regardless of what DVLA state on the log-book. Camper-van discounts do apply to commercially registered vehicles. I have more information on my website but I am not posting a link in the forum as I have already posted enough links to my site (its in my signature if you cannot find it).

I will post the outcome (Pass or Fail) later thats if anyone wants to know, you may instead want to watch repeats of Come Dine with Me on TV and have no interest in my van at all, of which I would fully understand.

Ballcock

That is a very professional looking job, I hope you have received the holy grail for your work if not as said above some of us have no chance. Congratulations I hope you are proud of it.

Roadrunner

Very pro job,only one thing is the back belted seats fitted with the regulation underpin plates or just bolted to there mount boxes,do hope you got it changed to m/caravan.

Sandbagsid

Looks a great conversion so I would give it a pass but then I know what I’m looking at and I’m not welsh so no guarantee with dvla view. Hope ya was successful.

Very pro job,only one thing is the back belted seats fitted with the regulation underpin plates or just bolted to there mount boxes,do hope you got it changed to m/caravan.
The seats are bolted to a metal frame which is also bolted to the chassis (HT Bolts). The seat belts are as follows a) centre seat belt is factory fitted to the seat itself so no additional work is required and b) the additional seat belt is fitted the same way to the seat using a factory pre-drilled hole in the seatframe. Bolts are HT bolts. The MOT tester didn’t seem too interested I thought he would want to know more but he may have viewed the seatbelts as factory fitted which the centre one is. Having said that I don’t expect to carry passengers and would have been happy if it was rated for only 2 people. The seat belts were a precaution in case they were required (I wouldn’t want to rip the floor up).

The Results.....

I FAILED in my quest.

According to the DVLA my vehicle cannot be recognized as being a camper-van and for example if someone was to see it on a road or parked up, then they would not be able to distinguish it from a commercial vehicle. This is not my opinion but the opinion of the DVLA who has reclassified the vehicle as a “van with windows” and as such not to be confused with a camper-van or leisure vehicle. I find that difficult to understand along with the hundreds maybe well over a thousand vehicle owners that have also failed to have their vehicle reclassified.

What is a van with windows? The exact term on the DVLA V5C is as follows – Body Type: Van/Side Windows – Taxation Class: Light Goods Vehicle. The term means that the vehicle is registered for carrying light goods and thus should be treated as such although it is not illegal to carry people nor to sleep or cook inside it.

As Einstein once said: "It is easier to split the atom with a nutcracker than it is to get a camper-van approved by DVLA"

jjturner

Main reason to submit it now is just in case you get stopped by the police and they try to be efficient or to avoid an invalidated insurance claim on it being incorrectly registered

Rixster

I suspect that you have been through the DVLA's list of required features (internally and externally) and that you have met all of their criteria. How can they justify a rejection ? If it were me, I would annotate each photo with arrows pointing to each of their criteria and re-submit. They probably have said that their decision is final. However, make another minor modification, and re-submit on the grounds of a change.

Thanks E-F-R for posting your comments and photos. It shows that there is probably no hope for me.
'Van with windows' is what I will expect to get.

I think professional converters did have trouble with the classification. However, this may not now be the case as 'professionally' converted vans have not previously been registered as 'light commercial vehicle/van'. Therefore, it is just registration as a 'motor-caravan', not re-classification.

Maybe they will introduce new road tax classifications in the future to sting us with higher road tax? That's just pure conjecture !

jjturner

I know people were literally throwing a sink in a van and registering it as a motorhome so it needed tightening but I'm pretty sure that the new restrictions were brought in to stop people avoiding the proposed tax increase on new motorhomes. Otherwise manufacturers would have provided them as vans, then just told the buyer to register it, £1800 saved. But this tax has been reverersed, so I guess the message hasn't got through