Dreams of a race van

DigglerRacing

Hi from South Wales,

Reading through the the various threads, there’s a great deal of information on the site which is really helpful.

A keen motorcyclist and runner I’m looking for my van conversion to possible cover a number of bases.

I’m looking to convert or have converted a L3H2 Peugeot or similar. I’ve got as far as research and planning stage, but I’m keen to get everything in place before biting the bullet.

The plans I’ve mocked up include for a rear garage, shower/toilet cubical, small seating area and kitchen unit with sink. Because of the height of the bike being transported it leaves very little room above the garage for a bed, and I’m not so keen on making a bed from the seating area each time. An option I have seen is a Pop Top roof but struggling to find a supplier/ installer for the size of the van.

I’m under no illusions on the time this will take, I feel I have the majority of the skills required having working in the building trade for years and spending many nights fixing race bikes after throwing them at the scenery, but I’m restricted on time.

i know the site is primary aimed at self conversion, but I’m looking for someone who might want to take on a partial conversion. I have approached local firms but unfortunately and understandably they’re not particularly interested.

So, any offers/ ideas

Many thanks
Dan

BigStevie

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the forum. A pal has just asked me about building a van for carrying him and his motorbike. I pointed him at eBay to have a look at what was for sale, he found exactly what he needed based on an Iveco van, the only problem being was it was a bit to old and rough for him. But, he found the plan he that suited him.

It’s all about needs and wants, then a plan. Of course budget is important too. So, look at what others have done, look at what’s for sale and work out your needs and budget. I think you might find what you want out there and save yourself the build!
Good luck, ask anything, stay safe.

Stevie

DigglerRacing

Hi Stevie,

Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately I’ve been unable to find anything suitable for sale hence the desire to build / have built something bespoke. Budget’s in place, just need willing now :cool:

Dan

Iain Simmonds

Hi Dan, I have started converting a slightly larger race truck, its a Eurocargo 7.5t as it gave me greater scope for what i wanted. Still early days but its coming along. When it comes to re registering as a motorhome the garage will have 2 mobility scooters in it and other normal bits and pieces which hopefully will get it passed.

Attachments

timinhastings

Hi Dan, I have started converting a slightly larger race truck, its a Eurocargo 7.5t as it gave me greater scope for what i wanted. Still early days but its coming along. When it comes to re registering as a motorhome the garage will have 2 mobility scooters in it and other normal bits and pieces which hopefully will get it passed.
nice to see that theres more than 2 of us going the lorry camper route

Shiny Paul

Hi Dan,
This is how mine is, the main thing is the height of your bike and the height of the van you are thinking of using, mine is obviously a hi top Sprinter, they do actually do an extra hi top which I think is about 6 inches taller, but quite rare.
Mine has a bed above the garage which is a bit short on height but very comfortable.
Let me know the height of your bike and i will measure mine for comparison.
Paul.2017-12-04 07.42.32.jpg20170312_124950.jpg20170312_132341.jpg20170312_132351.jpg20170312_132906.jpg

Last edited:

DigglerRacing

Hi Paul, after much deliberation I’m opting for similar to what you have. I was going to go the Peugeot Boxer route with a pop top but the Sprinter with a bed above just seems tried and tested and it should be a more reliable van.

As much as I want to do the work myself I‘ve got other projects so looking to hand some/ all the build on to someone.???